Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch Series 0 not compatible with iPhone Xs Max?

Hi,

I just updated from an iPhone 7 to the new Xs Max. Aftee having tried multiple times, pairing my watch with the new phone I get the same error, “Pairing failed”.

To rule out that the watch mysteriously stopped working, I tried with the iPhone 7 and then it works perfect.

Is the Apple Watch series 0 not compatible with the Xs Max (and possibly other phones)?

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 1:03 PM

I updated from an iPone 7 to the new Xs (not the Max, but same system). I also tried a bazillion attempts at pairing my Apple Watch series 0, unsuccessfully. I called 1-(800)-MYAPPLE and found a great, simple resolve.

On iPhone, go into Settings> General> Reset> Network> Reset Network Settings. After Network is reset on iPhone, Pairing option will appear, after unlocking. The options of which backup or restore like new Apple Watch is offered, select one and proceed. Agree to next window of information, set up your Passcode, again. Then wait for the completion of the Apple Watch Syncing. You will get an alert when it is done syncing, then return to normal use of your iPhone.

I hope this resolves your problem like it did for mine!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2018 1:03 PM in response to Rabergh

I updated from an iPone 7 to the new Xs (not the Max, but same system). I also tried a bazillion attempts at pairing my Apple Watch series 0, unsuccessfully. I called 1-(800)-MYAPPLE and found a great, simple resolve.

On iPhone, go into Settings> General> Reset> Network> Reset Network Settings. After Network is reset on iPhone, Pairing option will appear, after unlocking. The options of which backup or restore like new Apple Watch is offered, select one and proceed. Agree to next window of information, set up your Passcode, again. Then wait for the completion of the Apple Watch Syncing. You will get an alert when it is done syncing, then return to normal use of your iPhone.

I hope this resolves your problem like it did for mine!

Sep 24, 2018 5:18 AM in response to Peggy

My first generation, Series 0, paired with my iPhone X iOS 12 and will update if I went to an app within it. However, it no longer auto-unlocks or provides notifications within any meaningful timeframe. Tested after updating, after erasing all contents/settings, setting up as new, and even then after disabling nearly everything but weather and messages. Weather complications still will not update and message notifications arrive 10 minutes later, at best.

I upgraded to a Series 4 yesterday. Shouldn't feel as expensive of a loss next time, considering I opted for the Aluminum instead of Stainless this time. Definitely must hurt for the folks with the 18-Karat Edition 1st generation.

Nov 29, 2018 8:07 AM in response to Marilyn Howard

I did your network settings reset which allowed me to go ahead with the pairing (series 0 with XR) but now that it’s paired the watch is showing the red phone disconnected icon and there’s no communication between them. I can go to the phone bt settings and connect it but that doesn’t change anything and it disconnects after awhile. Anyone experiencing something similar?

Watch Series 0 not compatible with iPhone Xs Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.