Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Washed out colors in Portrait mode on IOS12

I am using a iPhone X. I've update on IOS 12. some how i noticed an issue that is that when i switch to portrait mode in camera app the colors of image become faded (less vibrant, very dull) as soon as the camera focuses on a subject. this is happening only in portrait mode. the wide angle lens in normal photo mode works perfectly. is this an ios bug? please check and reply me. thanks.

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 11:42 AM

Yes this is a bug in IOS12. I went to the iCentre in my town and checked the demo iPhone X there which was running IOS 11.4.1 at that moment and everything was fine with its camera in portrait mode. Then i got it update to IOS 12 and it started behaving and had same issue as my iPhone X on IOS 12 has.

48 replies

Sep 28, 2018 12:45 PM in response to Aditya407

I m facing the different issue after the update of iOS 12. I have updated my iPhone to iOS 12, and the phone now takes blurry pictures. I've tried a few things (cleaned the lens, restarted my phone, played with the camera settings), but nothing helped. is there anything else I can do to fix iPhone camera blurry after update? Or do anyone else having the same problem?

Oct 2, 2018 3:51 PM in response to Aditya407

Oh my god me too! My iPhone X was taking some severely dull portrait photos. What’s weirder is that I would focus the camera to the side of the subject and the color of the image came back like magic. Total bug.

While people here may tell you it’s not supported nor recommended, I downgraded to iOS 11.4.1 and it fixed the issue.

Oct 5, 2018 5:56 AM in response to Aditya407

I was able to reproduce the issue in a screen capture...

IMG_1840.TRIM on Vimeo

In the first part of the video, the camera is in regular "Photo" mode, zoomed in about as far as the "Portrait" mode does. Moving the camera on and off axis, shows the color rendition is consistent in "Photo" mode. As soon as I switch to "Portrait" mode and do the same thing, you can see the colors turn to garbage.

It might be related to the exposure metering due to the contrast in the black and white background, but if so, then why do "Photo" mode photos still look great?

Oct 23, 2018 5:06 PM in response to Aditya407

I’m also experiencing this problem with the washed out colors when setting my camera to portrait mode with my iPhone X. I’m guessing the “bug” found its way into the software right after the release of the XS to encourage more people to upgrade by making people think things like “Look how much better the photos look on the XS!”

Please fix this bug Apple.

Oct 29, 2018 4:05 AM in response to Aditya407

After a bit of testing, I don't think this is a Portrait Mode bug per se. I think it's a software issue with the telephoto lens.

I've got an iPhone X running iOS 12.0.1, and I get the same washed out colors when using the telephoto (2x) lens in regular Photo Mode.

Some things I've found:

1) Bug appeared only after updating to iOS 12. This was never a problem in iOS 11.

2) Bug occurs in both Portrait Mode and 2x Photo Mode. (The reason you may not notice this bug in 2x Photo Mode is that the iPhone doesn't always use the telephoto lens when you switch to 2x zoom. If the lighting is low, the iPhone simply uses 2x digital zoom with its wide-angle lens.)

3) Bug is not limited to the iPhone's native Camera app. It occurs when using Portrait Mode and 2x Photo Mode in both the ProCam 6 and ProCamera apps, too.

I really hope this is fixed with iOS 12.1, because the camera is the main reason I got the iPhone X.

Dec 17, 2018 6:42 AM in response to Aditya407

I experienced the same issue with my portrait mode camera on my iPhone 8 Plus after updating my phone to iOS 12. It was greyed out, extremely pixelated and would not take portrait photos.

I updated my phone to the iOS 12.1.1 yesterday evening and now it is working completely normal and as it should. If you have not already done this update, this should fix the problem. Hope this helps :)

Washed out colors in Portrait mode on IOS12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.