Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buzzing Earpiece iPhone Xs

When my iPhone Xs is at max volume during phone calls I often hear a high pitched “buzzing” or “crackling” sound coming from the earpiece when the person on the other end of the call is talking.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 7:28 PM

Just to update, I brought my phone in to the Apple Store with this issue and they swapped it out for a new one but the new one is having the exact same problem.

I decided to test other iPhone Xs models that were in store and all of them had the exact same issue from the earpiece/receiver when playing audio at high volumes (especially things like piano music).

I'm convinced this represents a hardware problem and will be returning the phone this week. I love everything else about the phone, but unfortunately, I need it to function well as a phone.

214 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2018 7:28 PM in response to psaikin

Just to update, I brought my phone in to the Apple Store with this issue and they swapped it out for a new one but the new one is having the exact same problem.

I decided to test other iPhone Xs models that were in store and all of them had the exact same issue from the earpiece/receiver when playing audio at high volumes (especially things like piano music).

I'm convinced this represents a hardware problem and will be returning the phone this week. I love everything else about the phone, but unfortunately, I need it to function well as a phone.

Oct 16, 2018 1:43 AM in response to psaikin

The same here. I wonder if this tinkles sound is coming from a moving particle inside the camera. While in a phone call it sounds like something is vibrating inside. Try something out. While not using the phone - shake it and listen for moving particles inside - I can definitely hear it. Then turn the camera on - start shooting a video for example and shake the phone again - this particle sound goes away.

Mar 31, 2019 5:27 AM in response to tobi-pg

I am having the same issue with Xs Max since day 1. I put my hopes into iOS 12.2 to resolve the crackling noises, but no improvement.

This issues seems bigger as we do have it in Germany, too. People changing from Vodafone to T-Mobile and back still keep the disturbing noises during phone calls. Switching VoLTE off does not help either.

Here is the cross-link to the German users:

https://communities.apple.com/de/thread/200040345?page=2

Maybe if we stand together, Apple will acknowledge the issues and put efforts into a solution?

Oct 24, 2018 1:06 PM in response to psaikin

Hi,

I have exact the same issue as described above. Non of your suggestions did help.

I was trying to get some help from Apple support. They sent me to an authorized reseller who was not able to help me. They did just a standard audio hardware check and said that "everything seems to be ok". No, it's not ok!

This is very unsatisfying for a device that costs 1300€. I have never experienced such an issue on any iPhone I had before. How can we get rid of this annoying sound?

Oct 30, 2018 11:07 AM in response to parag252

Had you updated to iOS 12.1 ? I am on 12.0 and I have my second iPhone Xs with the cracking-buzzing issue. So I bought a new iPhone xs, after I saw how annoying was my first’s iPhone xs buzzing speaker ! My second iPhone xs is the same!!! Apple please make an update to resolve this issue that had in the past most iPhone X and iPhone 8!

Oct 31, 2018 8:36 AM in response to tobi-pg

Is it possible that we are just making too much of a fuss instead of enjoying a wonderful phone? Or are we just turning up the volume too loud? Everyone else seems to have no issues , possibly because they are using the phone at normal volumes ? I have my doubts.. can someone weigh in on this? I doubt this is a hardware issue...

Oct 31, 2018 8:48 AM in response to parag252

I do not doubt that it is a wonderful phone. It certainly is. However, it is my 5th iPhone and I have definitely not changed my user behavior since I have my iPhone XS. Never have I ever had such a strange earpiece speaker issue that does really bother me when I am in a call. We all spent a lot of money for this gadget and shall now accept a buzzing earpiece speaker? Sorry, but no. This is not acceptable.

Nov 3, 2018 8:09 AM in response to baricfrombucharest

Salut, Eu deja am programat o vizită la un centru autorizat de asistență tehnică, problema mea nu este numai cu difuzorul în timpul apelurilor dar și faptul că ecranul este pe jumătate galben iar cealaltă spre albastru bate mai mult, atunci când apăs pe partea din spate se aude un scârțâit de parcă ar fi loc sub sticlă.

De aceea cred că dispozitivul are mai multe probleme și o să-l întorc, vedem ce îmi zic ei mai întâi.

Buzzing Earpiece iPhone Xs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.