Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't have a "recently deleted" folder in Photos on my macbook pro

I have just backed up all my photos to a couple external drives, and I'd like to free the space on my mac. I selected and deleted all the photos I wanted to, but a "recently deleted" folder didn't show up in my sidebar. I have since tried deleting just one test photo as well, still no folder.

When I look in my mac storage, it says that Photos is no longer taking up that much space, however, all the gigabytes previously eaten by my Photos just moved to "Other." Where the heck are my photos? How do I delete them permanently?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 10.0.3, null

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 11:49 PM

Which version of Photos and MacOS X are you using?

I selected and deleted all the photos I wanted to, but a "recently deleted" folder didn't show up in my sidebar.

A recently Deleted album will appear in the sidebar, if you really deleted photos and not just removed them from an album. If you used the delete key while viewing a album, the photos will not have been deleted, but just removed from the album.You will still see the photos in the moments in the Photos view. To delete photos while viewing an album use the key combination ⌘⌫, not just ⌫.

In Photos 1.0 in Yosemite the recently Deleted album is hidden. You will have to reveal it with command "File > Show Recently Deleted". If the system version is El Capitan or newer, the recently Deleted Album will always be visible, if it is not empty.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2018 11:49 PM in response to pinkysaurusrawr

Which version of Photos and MacOS X are you using?

I selected and deleted all the photos I wanted to, but a "recently deleted" folder didn't show up in my sidebar.

A recently Deleted album will appear in the sidebar, if you really deleted photos and not just removed them from an album. If you used the delete key while viewing a album, the photos will not have been deleted, but just removed from the album.You will still see the photos in the moments in the Photos view. To delete photos while viewing an album use the key combination ⌘⌫, not just ⌫.

In Photos 1.0 in Yosemite the recently Deleted album is hidden. You will have to reveal it with command "File > Show Recently Deleted". If the system version is El Capitan or newer, the recently Deleted Album will always be visible, if it is not empty.

Sep 25, 2018 3:46 PM in response to pinkysaurusrawr

Deleting Photos from a Photos 4 Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Moments, Collections, albums, smart albums or projects, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.

2 - click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

User uploaded file

NOTE 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File ➙ Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

User uploaded file

NOTE 2: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

NOTE 3: deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

User uploaded file

I don't have a "recently deleted" folder in Photos on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.