Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 12 copy paste problem

I’m copying text or pictures from one app to another and either the copy isn’t working or the contents of the clipboard are getting erased because when I get to the other application (like Mail) the Paste command is missing. Sometimes I have to do it two or three times before it works. Anyone else having copy/paste problems since the update to IOS12?

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 6:30 AM

This is aggravation on an EPIC scale. I work in a facility that requires you to log onto a network that is only good for 24hrs. Each day you have to REGISTER. Yesterday I was able to COPY N PASTE the password from the page that is automatically generated. My phone updated to this CRAP that is IOS 12 last night and can no longer. Come to find out about 3K other IDIOTS in this facility, like myself, are having this issue - adding 5minutes, now I have go to my office, write down this 15 character password, hope like **** I get the 0 and O's right... ***..... #APPLEIPHONE ***** BIGG TODAY.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 6:30 AM in response to Scott KSSW

This is aggravation on an EPIC scale. I work in a facility that requires you to log onto a network that is only good for 24hrs. Each day you have to REGISTER. Yesterday I was able to COPY N PASTE the password from the page that is automatically generated. My phone updated to this CRAP that is IOS 12 last night and can no longer. Come to find out about 3K other IDIOTS in this facility, like myself, are having this issue - adding 5minutes, now I have go to my office, write down this 15 character password, hope like **** I get the 0 and O's right... ***..... #APPLEIPHONE ***** BIGG TODAY.

Oct 11, 2018 2:48 AM in response to hech54

Same here, im using iphone 5s , and for me what happen is i can simply copy some text and then go to another app (or the same app) and paste that text and that works just fine , but lets say i try to paste again (which always worked before with every single ios i had before) it just doesnt work , and what i mean is that the paste option doesn't even show anymore, so i'd have to go copy the text again and then back to paste it again !! i hope there is a fix for this silly bug ( or whatever it's) .

Oct 2, 2018 6:54 AM in response to Scott KSSW

Not sure if it’s the same issue but this discussion talks about problems trying to copy content across different Apps. Why cant I copy and paste with iOS 11?

It’s not affecting all devices because I appear to still have the function (using iPad Mini 2), obviously links copy ok because I’ve used in this reply (but that’s Safari to Safari), but also tried copying text from Messages into Safari which also works fine.

The first and easiest would be to try a Forced Restart, if that does work try an ”Update” by putting the device into Recovery Mode when connecting to a Mac, selecting Update then replaces the OS without touching your data or Apps.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

(Haven’t tried my X yet but will tonight, if it’s showing same problem will post back).

Oct 11, 2018 2:58 AM in response to Scott KSSW

Same here, im using iphone 5s , and for me what happen is i can simply copy some text and then go to another app (or the same app) and paste that text and that works just fine , but lets say i try to paste again (which always worked before with every single ios i had before) it just doesnt work , and what i mean is that the paste option doesn't even show anymore, so i'd have to go copy the text again and then back to paste it again !! i hope there is a fix for this silly bug ( or whatever it's) .

Oct 25, 2018 2:31 PM in response to Scott KSSW

My problem is earlier in the sequence. On my 7 iPhone w/12.01 and next to smallest text size, I can just barely select a block of text. Unlike earlier versions, it wants to wander sideways and drift off the column in the middle of a website center column (in Safari). Carefully adjusting the page to keep the cursor in the middle helps, but when you are at the top or bottom of the text selection desired, it will still want to wander off left/right.

Now, on my wife's big 7 phone (12.01) with the largest text size selected, you can get one word highlighted and then when you try to drag one of the selection bars up or down the column, it reverts to ONE LETTER -- ONLY. That's it! No work around.

Oct 26, 2018 12:13 AM in response to h_sq

h_sq wrote:

My problem is earlier in the sequence. On my 7 iPhone w/12.01 and next to smallest text size, I can just barely select a block of text.

I've noticed something similar in Safari on the iPad mini 2, but only for certain web sites (Apple Forum is one of them) and in certain situations (when replying to posts, ie. in editor mode).

I can select individual words ok from the initial tap but when I try to move the markers to incorporate more of the selection it jumps to the whole text, no matter how I approach the task it just finishes up selecting the lot.

When not in the editor (ie. just view and reading posts) I can select what I want and drag either marker to any position.

Doesn't appear to happen on the iPhone X though and what ever text is finally selected, it still copies/pastes ok.

Oct 26, 2018 6:42 AM in response to Stevejobsisdeadsosad

Later Apple will come back . Introducing a new feature.. Copy paste. Now you can copy and paste. First ever on an iphone. $20 phone is having that facility. If you want to copy paste a number on your dial pad.. You just cannot do it. That is the way things are working in Apple. Still we buy it . That is there edge and we are dump idiots.

Zach

Oct 31, 2018 10:35 AM in response to SiHancox

I concur with your difference with different websites. The text size may have been a false factor. I think it is the specific behavior of certain sites. Some will go from word to single letter and some will race to the edges. I was able to get most of a paragraph to highlight by pressing hard with my thumb, but could never clean up the corners. Really lame.

Nov 1, 2018 12:59 AM in response to h_sq

h_sq wrote:

I concur with your difference with different websites. The text size may have been a false factor. I think it is the specific behavior of certain sites. Some will go from word to single letter and some will race to the edges. I was able to get most of a paragraph to highlight by pressing hard with my thumb, but could never clean up the corners. Really lame.

Fully agree, but prior to 12.1 I'm sure it only occurred on this forum, but I've just tried to edit a quote on another sites forum, and the same unpredictable jumping occurs, so for me text selection in Quoting is impossible (that's on my iPad, don't have issue on X because can't find out how to "quote" in a reply yet, doesn't appear to be an option). But text selection is no issue in the main body of the reply (ie what I'm typing), I can select from a word or anything upwards in either direction and that applies to both iPad and X.

With respect to the title of this discussion, when selecting the text in the main body of a reply I have the copy option, and if I go to compose an email under the Mail App that "copy" is still available to paste. It appears for me to work on both iPad and X.

So in brief, I haven't lost the ability to copy/paste, I just can't control what I would like to select (under certain circumstances).

Nov 14, 2018 10:05 AM in response to Scott KSSW

Since 12.0 the content of clipboard gets automatically erased after about an hour (or longer) after copy/cut and you can't paste what you copied/cut anylonger.

Strange thing is that this bug has not been fixed in subsequent releases dispite reports from the users.

It looks like this was a new feature that apple was trying to add to iOS so that the users can set the options dealing with content of clipboard for privacy reasons.

IOS 12 copy paste problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.