Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email Notifications on Apple Watch not working since IOS upgrade

I have my email notify me on my watch this has worked great for years. I recently upgraded to watch OS5 and IOS12 and now it doesn't work. I still get notifications on text messages and other apps on my watch but not email.

I have reset watch and phone but still not luck. Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 6:35 AM

Same problem here, iPhone x and Watch 3 LTE, iOS 12 and WatchOS 5

All notifications are working well, only no Email notifications. All settings are correct

See also here:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/community/beta/watchos-5-beta

68 replies

Mar 31, 2019 7:51 AM in response to jynx656

Thanks! This was driving me crazy!

These steps fixed my problem.

William_Wang: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8551081?answerId=250228471022#250228471022

So frustrating that the native apple mail app on an apple watch doesn't work correctly to display native apple notifications. This stuff should all be well baked into the devices and software.

Sep 25, 2018 7:36 AM in response to bestro007

Hello bestro007,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities!

It looks like no one has responded to your question. Here are a couple things that might help others answer your question:

Do you see the notifications for Mail when you swipe down the face to view the recent items?

If you view a notification for an email in the Notification Center, when you tap the ellipsis button, what options display?

Best regards.

Oct 20, 2018 5:39 PM in response to bestro007

I had this issue as well, for 2 weeks i couldnt notice any email - notification... it almost made me return my Watch ( because i need emails for my work a lot!!)

This highly annoying problem did not solve by re-pairing or restarting both devices, but,....it did solve my issue by restoring my iPhone (X) ...

SInce then, i get all my emails on my watch.. sometimes i do notice a bit of a delay (easily tested by sending emails to myself, but its much much better now.. it works! Hook up onto iTunes, make a backup, restore your phone and watch them e-mails dropping in 🙂

Oct 22, 2018 8:41 AM in response to bestro007

Same issue. iPhone X, Apple Watch 4. Both up to date.

Notifications/e-mail alerts have been VERY sporadic since the latest Watch OS update. Notifications will sometimes appear but with no sounds or haptics, other times they are on the phone but not on the watch.

I've rebooted both devices, un-paired and re-paired the watch. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone else confirm whether the backup/restore mentioned previously has been effective for them?

Oct 23, 2018 7:40 AM in response to bestro007

Do you have multiple emails set up on your phone (even if it’s your personal email and iCloud)? If so this can be fixed with a work around.

What you have to do is allow notifications on all email accounts or you won’t be able to get notifications for your main email account. You might get alerts on the watch face but you won’t be able to get the red dot Notification Center notifications unless every email account is set up to receive notifications/alerts.

I’ve found that enabling just the banners notification on the other email accounts is enough to get Notification Center to work again on the Series 4.

Hope this helps you.

Oct 23, 2018 7:47 AM in response to bestro007

Do you have multiple emails set up on your phone (even if it’s your personal email and iCloud)? If so this can be fixed with a work around.

What you have to do is allow notifications on all email accounts or you won’t be able to get notifications for your main email account. You might get alerts on the watch face but you won’t be able to get the red dot Notification Center notifications unless every email account is set up to receive notifications/alerts.

I’ve found that enabling just the banners notification on the other email accounts is enough to get Notification Center to work again on the Series 4.

Hope this helps you.

Oct 31, 2018 9:03 AM in response to bestro007

I spent a long time on the phone with Apple support on this. I have an iPhone X and Watch Series 4 both are up to date on the OS.

Bottom line was they acknowledged this was a bug and details had been sent to the Engineers. I was told to expect a fix in the next Watch OS update.

FWIW, I tried resetting the watch and setting it up as a new watch, creating custom notifications for Mail (instead of mirroring the phone) and a whole bunch of other stuff that didn't work before I called them. The Tier 1 tech I spoke to just sent me a whole bunch of support links, none of which were relevant, and did not seem to understand that you should see new mail alerts no matter what you are doing on the watch or phone (tried convincing me that they would only show up when the watch is active and not locked, if you use Apple Pay on the watch a passcode is required by default). Eventually I got hold of someone in Tier 2, who seemed to know what she was doing and quickly acknowledged that this is not expected behavior. She said that details from my call had been forwarded to the Engineers with a request to identify and confirm this as a bug.

Hope this helps someone.

Oct 31, 2018 9:09 AM in response to SpotLizard

If you have multiple emails or calendars set up on your phone (i.e. a Gmail account and an iCloud account) this can be fixed with a pretty easy work around.

What you have to do is allow notifications on ALL email accounts and calendars on your phone or you won’t be able to get notifications for your main email/calendar account. You might get alerts on the watch face but you won’t be able to get the red dot Notification Center notifications unless every email account or calendar is set up to receive notifications/alerts.

I’ve found that enabling just the banners notification on the other email accounts and calendars is enough to get Notification Center to work again. You can also set the sounds and vibration to “none” on the other accounts you don’t use to limit their “noise”.

Hope this helps you.

Oct 31, 2018 9:11 AM in response to cyrusbudge

If you have multiple emails or calendars set up on your phone (i.e. a Gmail account and an iCloud account) this can be fixed with a pretty easy work around.

What you have to do is allow notifications on ALL email accounts and calendars on your phone or you won’t be able to get notifications for your main email/calendar account. You might get alerts on the watch face but you won’t be able to get the red dot Notification Center notifications unless every email account or calendar is set up to receive notifications/alerts.

I’ve found that enabling just the banners notification on the other email accounts and calendars is enough to get Notification Center to work again. You can also set the sounds and vibration to “none” on the other accounts you don’t use to limit their “noise”.

Hope this helps you.

Oct 31, 2018 9:13 AM in response to dareczek_sc

Hope this helps you.

Oct 31, 2018 6:57 PM in response to Robg131

Hope this helps you.

Email Notifications on Apple Watch not working since IOS upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.