Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook 12" freeze on wake

My MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) running 10.13.6 has the following issue on wake.

1 Open clamshell

1.5 sometimes I get a purplish static screen for a second before login screen

2 begin to type in password

3 typing freezes after a few characters

4 close clamshell

5 if password was right, when you open it it's unlocked and running, mouse freezes in a moment

6 if not typing is available again to enter pw go back to 3

7 close and reopen clamshell

8 normal operation, ready to go, only took you two minutes to wake your computer Yay!

Rarely do I get a smooth login, often the above is inconsistent but still problematic.

I have reset PRAM,

I have wiped the drive and done a clean install

I have wiped the drive and reinstalled from backup

I have reset PRAM again and will try again later.

I have taken the computer in to the genius bar twice

Cute computer, issues prevail!

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), 12" Early 2016 Retina 500GB SSD 8GB

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 10:07 AM

Here are a few other things you can try:

1. Reset your Mac's SMC.
    • What: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac- Apple Support
    • How: Hold down the <shift><control><option> keys, and then, press the power button. Hold all of them for, at least, 10 seconds.
    • Why: Resets fans, keyboard backlight, status indicator, battery indicator, display backlight, power button, close/open the lid, sleep or shut down, battery doesn't charge, MagSafe indicator light incorrect status.
  2. Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode.

What: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac- Apple Support

How: At boot-up, hold down the <shift> key until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

3. Run Apple Diagnostics to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.
  4. Boot up your Mac in Recovery or Internet Recovery Mode.

What: About macOS Recovery- Apple Support

How:

• For Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <command><R> keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
  5. For Internet Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <option><command><R> keys until the spinning globe appears on the screen.
    • When at the initial Recovery Mode screen, select the Disk Utility option. Run Disk Utility > First Aid to verify the startup disk's integrity.

• Why: To verify the startup disk integrity using the Disk Utility's First Aid option.
  6. Run an EtreCheck report and post it here so that we can help diagnose any issue that we may uncover with your Mac.
  • You can download EtreCheck fromhere.
  • Start EtreCheck from a normal user account. Optionally, you can run it from a user account with Administrator privileges.
  • Select a problem from the drop-down menu to enable the "Start EtreCheck" button. Optionally, you can add comments on what issues your Mac is experiencing, especially to aide others with similar Mac issues.
  • Click on Start EtreCheck
  • Allow the program to run to completion.
  • When done, select Report from the left-side window to display it.
  • Select the "Share Report" icon.
    • Select Copy Report
  • Paste the report to your reply post.

Ref: Using EtreCheck - ASC (etresoft)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 10:07 AM in response to DaveTakesPictures

Here are a few other things you can try:

1. Reset your Mac's SMC.
    • What: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac- Apple Support
    • How: Hold down the <shift><control><option> keys, and then, press the power button. Hold all of them for, at least, 10 seconds.
    • Why: Resets fans, keyboard backlight, status indicator, battery indicator, display backlight, power button, close/open the lid, sleep or shut down, battery doesn't charge, MagSafe indicator light incorrect status.
  2. Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode.

What: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac- Apple Support

How: At boot-up, hold down the <shift> key until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

3. Run Apple Diagnostics to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.
  4. Boot up your Mac in Recovery or Internet Recovery Mode.

What: About macOS Recovery- Apple Support

How:

• For Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <command><R> keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
  5. For Internet Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <option><command><R> keys until the spinning globe appears on the screen.
    • When at the initial Recovery Mode screen, select the Disk Utility option. Run Disk Utility > First Aid to verify the startup disk's integrity.

• Why: To verify the startup disk integrity using the Disk Utility's First Aid option.
  6. Run an EtreCheck report and post it here so that we can help diagnose any issue that we may uncover with your Mac.
  • You can download EtreCheck fromhere.
  • Start EtreCheck from a normal user account. Optionally, you can run it from a user account with Administrator privileges.
  • Select a problem from the drop-down menu to enable the "Start EtreCheck" button. Optionally, you can add comments on what issues your Mac is experiencing, especially to aide others with similar Mac issues.
  • Click on Start EtreCheck
  • Allow the program to run to completion.
  • When done, select Report from the left-side window to display it.
  • Select the "Share Report" icon.
    • Select Copy Report
  • Paste the report to your reply post.

Ref: Using EtreCheck - ASC (etresoft)

macbook 12" freeze on wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.