Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen + Apple logo after entering password

Hey! I’ve just updated to Mojave without any issue. There’s a strange behaviour at the login screen: after I enter my password there’s a loading bar (the usual that used to appear always I previous macOS versions, when it gets to 70% aprox the screen goes black, then the Apple logo and a progress bar appears and then I get to the desktop. Any ideas? I tried SMC reset and PRAM reset but the issue persists.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 2:45 PM

Hi... Have just spent the last 3 hours on chat with Apple support ... They have advised me that this is a known issue with no immediate fix so far . I have so far reset NVRAM and SMC , created new user profiles and re installed the macOS.. all of which have done nothing but waste my time..... I am yet to receive my support call with a senior engineer to take logs so they can work on a patch to fix the issue .......

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 2:45 PM in response to Patopipp

Hi... Have just spent the last 3 hours on chat with Apple support ... They have advised me that this is a known issue with no immediate fix so far . I have so far reset NVRAM and SMC , created new user profiles and re installed the macOS.. all of which have done nothing but waste my time..... I am yet to receive my support call with a senior engineer to take logs so they can work on a patch to fix the issue .......

Oct 8, 2018 11:03 AM in response to Patopipp

For those who are getting one or more of the following:
* excruciatingly slow boot, or unable to log in

* sluggish

* Hardware not found errors for wifi

* Touch bar not working

* Bluetooth devices such as keyboard/mouse not working or disconnecting all the time

and have a mac they've had for a while, or transferred from machine to machine using Time machine or migration assistant, then the issue is most likely due to a very old configuration file being migrated across that is no longer used and contains invalid entries for Mojave. (/etc/sysctl.conf)

I've posted a solution here that should hopefully resolve the issue for most of you:

Re: Mojave login UI sluggish & laggy

Oct 8, 2018 11:22 AM in response to andQlimax

yes, there seem to be two different major issues occurring -
One where everything is sluggish and slow to log in; and the other where everything is sluggish and slow to log in AND hardware is not working, or you're unable to log in at all 😀
The solution I posted only applies to the second, unfortunately.

Another user has done a lot of research on the first here (if you've not seen it yet):Frequent system hangs and freezes in macOS Mojave 10.14: Notes, reproducible errors, and possible workarounds

Sep 25, 2018 4:20 PM in response to Patopipp

Yes. I’m on a 2016 15” tbMBP and noticed it when I restarted after clearing my bash file and making some other changes before backing up for the first time to Time Machine. I checked my console and it says stall. I don’t get an error log when I boot the machine though. Only when restarting but the behavior is the same.

Apart from the bug, the machine boots up fast so it’s not a big deal and Apple will fix it soon. The .0 releases are really more like a stable beta ever since they started releasing a new version every year.

Sep 29, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Patopipp

Hi! Same issue for me as well. After chatting with Apple Support they told me that "Yes this does sound normal.Well its normal when we have filevualt or a firmware password enabled. These encrypt the drive so before the computer can load it needs to make sure that you are the owner of the Mac.The new mojave has added security features so there are a few changes that are showing across the board now.This used to only show when we tried to go into recovery mode but now its standard for all startup." Not convinced however, especially since some of you mentioned different replies regarding the issue (that it's a "known issue"), which makes me believe it's a bug after all. Login time has doubled in time with that bug and a fix is required...

Oct 8, 2018 11:26 AM in response to Quirkz

System does not hang, there is no error. Everything works well, BUT after you enter the password, the mac shows th black screen with apple logo, this is the issue we are discussing. The login is JUST **** slow, but system is not slow at all, everything is smooth, except the login time which is double

Issue happen when File Vault is active and firmware (hard disk) password is set

Nov 1, 2018 6:50 AM in response to Patopipp

Hello All.
So, turns out that after updating to 10.14.1 (18B75) there's no black screen after entering the password.

Guess that we'll never know if it was indeed a bug or something that Apple added intentionally.

Either way it's gone now - at least for me, don't know if anyone has a different feedback - so no more delay...

Black screen + Apple logo after entering password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.