Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mojave install macbook pro slow and no internet

I went to the app store to download and install macOS mojave. Since the install my Macbook Pro a) runs extremily slow and b) I have a message that there is no wifi hardware installed. I have tried re-installing macOS mojave using command-r upon boot-up but after the re-install the system is still exhibiting the the above problems.

Please advise as to what I can do.

-- rob

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 10:29 AM

I ran across the same problem and I had to reinstall High Sierra from a backup through Time Machine. If you have backed it up to an external disk, you should be able to do so after you have started with command-r, but go to the install from backup-option then.
I think I will wait until Apple releases an update or if someone smart enough can tell us what the problem is and how to avoid it.
I am on a 2017 iMac, 27 " so the hardware should be good enough, at least.

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 10:29 AM in response to robertfromithaca

I ran across the same problem and I had to reinstall High Sierra from a backup through Time Machine. If you have backed it up to an external disk, you should be able to do so after you have started with command-r, but go to the install from backup-option then.
I think I will wait until Apple releases an update or if someone smart enough can tell us what the problem is and how to avoid it.
I am on a 2017 iMac, 27 " so the hardware should be good enough, at least.

Sep 26, 2018 1:42 AM in response to lec0rsaire

Hello friend thanks for the advice... The firmware is fine.. It ran perfectly out the box with the SSD firmware. My version on the drive is higher than the updates online as new drive last time I checked. Will re-check. The firmware links you posted are not for my drive but thanks. I need to check OWC forums too I guess.

I prurchased the OWC drive as in their advertising the tag line was, "fully future-proofed with Mac OSX for the foreseeable future":

User uploaded file

Guaranteed incompatibility? ... is this a spelling error on OWC's webpage ?

That should say incompatibility lol .. .anyway .. sarcasm aside I do not mind waiting a little while to see this ironed out as I run Universal Audio Digital Studio Audio Soundcards to studio gear which are notoriously slow to update. Funnily enough I swapped to UAD from Mac's in house APOGEE soundcards - was using a Duet for a while, but swapped as the software updates for the Duet were not coming fast enough, negating me being able to use new operating system updates..

The OS ran fine in High Sierra, which is allegedly the same OS File system so shouldn't be an issue. It's something more fundamental .. I suspect it could be in the graphics processing as it behaved like a full Kernel error breakdown .. everything going into a general disintegration graphics and usability wise. No cursor response. Having to relaunch finder every twenty seconds to get the cursor to unfreeze. No Audio or attempt for it to connect to the UAD without massive lag and the UAD interface falling over and freezing .. constant killing process' in Task Manager.. No internet at all .. Nothing in net stat in CMD line and nothing in "ifconfig". It was a proper mess. The fact the whole network is missing suggests this is not quite finished.

I am racking my brains to imagine what other softs may have caused problems ?

This is a little reminiscent of Apple breaking FaceTime on the 4 - 4S but I am hoping it's just iron outs not a full rinse out .. The UAD updates only just became truly stable for High Sierra in my case and at first I had issue with AFPS and high Sierra on the 15" 2015 map, however that did settle with updates..

As I said I do not mind waiting and it could be in my case UAD compatibility ...

Other things I would be interested to know from people on this thread !!!! >>>>>>>

Are we are running little Snitch or Metakine hands off ?? Could this be an incompatibility there.

Are we running Onyx ? (optimisation tool) - there is a separate version for Mojave..

Are we running any UAD with outboard DAC and processing through thunderbolt ?

Could it be a HDMI graphics input / output problem?

There has to be some connection here! 🙂

Good luck people.. I would happily post anyone a pen drive as long as that isn't against any licensing issue ? maybe someone can answer that ? .. Before Apple decided to rewrite it's filesystem I wisely made a few pen drives just in case 😉 for my own recovery purposes anticipating the upgrade may not reflect the ADs at Apple and Other Work Computing ! Karma Lama says baa.

Oct 8, 2018 10:58 AM in response to robertfromithaca

For those who are getting one or more of the following:
* excruciatingly slow boot, or unable to log in

* sluggish

* Hardware not found errors for wifi

* Touch bar not working

* Bluetooth devices such as keyboard/mouse not working or disconnecting all the time

and have a mac they've had for a while, or transferred from machine to machine using Time machine or migration assistant, then the issue is most likely due to a very old configuration file being migrated across that is no longer used and contains invalid entries for Mojave. (/etc/sysctl.conf)

I've posted a solution here that should hopefully resolve the issue for most of you:

Re: Mojave login UI sluggish & laggy

Sep 25, 2018 1:39 PM in response to robertfromithaca

Clearly I'm not alone! Installed last night by upgrading the previous clean install of High Sierra, which ran lightning fast and flawlessly.

On boot up it now runs horrifically slow, plus it had weirdly large icons on the login screen like it had set the wrong screen resolution on my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro (16GB RAM and 1TB Apple SSD with super fast read/write speeds >1,300MB/s). It takes over 5 minutes from power up to loading the desktop, even if you kill all running apps, remove pretty much everything from your Login items in Preferences and reboot! Screen resolution returns to normal at desktop screen but many apps not responding and having to do force quit (even OS X System apps).

Safari runs and machine establishes WiFi connection (which FYI works fine on all other devices) but it fails to load any webpage, saying not connected to the internet. Had some pages load successfully for web servers on local LAN (using direct IP Address) so it acted like it was a DNS problem, but the settings were correct/same as before (and same as all the working devices on same WiFi) and was nothing I could do to get it to work. Mail also unable to establish a connection to any of the already configured accounts. Something very strange going on!

After wasting another half hour trying all the obvious fixes I gave up and reinstalled High Sierra from my TimeMachine back up. Now all fine again. Clearly this first public release of Mojave needs a great deal more beta testing. Come on Apple, sort it out!

Sep 25, 2018 1:47 PM in response to robertfromithaca

Same on mid 2015 MBP 15" quad 2.5 i7 - 16gb Ram & OWC Aura Pro X SSD Upgrade .. Recovery & back to Time Machine for me. It's on fire again on High Sierra.

Going to wait and see what happens.

I had some teething probs in High Sierra - not on the 2015 MBP; but on an old early 2011 MBP 2.3 dual core i5

I like the look of Mojave . . would be nice to see it run.

Sep 25, 2018 3:52 PM in response to robertfromithaca

#MeToo! I cut every corner twice. Tried to upgrade on day one, didn’t update Time Machine from the last time I plugged in my external drive in and didn’t make sure I had a rescue flash drivethat worked. Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with plenty of ram and disk space.

The ”upgrade“ took over an hour and then it went downhill from there. Everything is super slow, like click and wait minutes for anything to happen and Wifi says “no hardware installed“. I can get into network preferences and it says Wifi is off, but clicking Turn On does nothing. I can’t install High Sierra over Mojave because it says there’s a newer OS installed. Now I’m faced with restoring a 3 month old backup. My bad...

Sep 25, 2018 4:55 PM in response to nicholasfromstourbridge

You have to patch the firmware on the OWC SSDs for Mojave to work. Apple recognizes that they’re not official hardware and it seems they’re creating problems for those without stock drives. If you still have the original SSD, install Mojave on that and then swap. Here are instructions if the firmware patch does not work!:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/321041/installing-high-sierra-on-owc-a ura-ssd-missing-firmware-partition

This is the firmware patch from OWCs site. Make sure this is for your drive.

https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/10/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmwa re-Update

Good luck man. I had no idea this was an issue with 3rd party drives. It is a pretty big hassle.

Sep 25, 2018 6:14 PM in response to robertfromithaca

Same basic story here. 15 minutes to boot, dead wifi, 30-40 seconds to open a prefs pane, unable to turn on wifi. Three hours with two different Apple support people. Advised to wipe whole ssd and restore from backup, but that didn't work as system would cycle from login screen to black with progress bar to grey. Now going back to High Sierra. Wasn't ever intending to beta test for Apple. A day wasted, and it looks like I'm not alone. 2016 MacBook Pro, Mac user since 1988, and generally patient. Not today.

Sep 26, 2018 2:02 AM in response to lec0rsaire

HEYA !!

Thanks for the firmware advice.. however...

The OWC Aura Pro X does not have a. firmware updater for my model of Mac .. they stopped the updates well before the 11.4 MBP ..

The integration of the drive in question is meant to be flawless and that is how they are advertised !! Hence no firmware updater.. These drives are advertised as not needing any firmware revisions - any adaptations, trim enablers etc .. smart adapters.. The whole point of the drives is meant to be their flawless compatibility 🙂

Sep 26, 2018 2:07 AM in response to Redgy BE

Of course yes.

The suggestions I am getting here (although I appreciate the input efforts are so far off I could even say they are trolling 🙂

so far it has been suggested I do a firmware update on a drive that has no firmware updater for my model of Mac .. and connect the battery

I have also been told by Apple support ir was "background" processing after install and perfectly normal

I have not had one Apple person apologise, just pick up on the fact that I am happy to wait for updates and call me awesome for being patient .. Fact is I have no choice being patient.. I am epileptic and stress goes me seizes .. so why would I get stressed about a piece of metal lol !!

Thanks for everyones help... I will let people know if I get any answers.. OWC support have no answers either yet.

Sep 26, 2018 5:59 AM in response to Lemondixon

Just to quickly add to my previous response ... it occurs to me from other peoples posts and the forums over at Objective Development that the internet connection failures may be down to code signature issues with Little Snitch (well at least in my case, as I always have that installed) - there were similar code signature issues with many apps on my previous move to High Sierra.

If you are interested in trying to persist with Mojave in it's current version, then head over to System Preferences>Security & Privacy to see if it lists any software as being blocked or having issues. However, if you really want to flush out all the problems you need to restart in Safe Mode and then look again in Security & Privacy, and (if memory serves me correctly) you need to Cmd+click (if not try Ctrl or Alt/Option click) on the Allow button - this brings up another dialogue box which then lists all the apps with code signature problems (not just one) and you can force them to be accepted from there. Once done, re-boot as normal and see if that helps.

As for me however, I have already reinstalled High Sierra and don't have any more time to waste on a badly finished version of Mojave that Apple should have dealt with before public release - the other issues (dreadful boot times, weird screen resolutions etc) are not down to code signature approval and are other bugs that need fixing. If I had the time to spend doing this, I would have signed up to the Beta Programme like I did in previous versions so that the public release was properly ready - I waited this time for the public release as I need my machine running properly (how ironic). BTW None of the previous Beta versions I ever tested were as bad as this public release of Mojave; not by a long way!

Sep 29, 2018 9:15 AM in response to robertfromithaca

I have the exact same problem with my laptop! same model as yours. I tried 3 re-installs, called apple support 5 times. The issue is not the wifi hardware, because it works perfectly on diagnostics and re installation. It is the software not recognizing the hardware. Kext files are needed to address this issue. Meanwhile I am waiting on a genius bar appointment. If you backed up your files (unfortunately my time machine died on me 😟) you can go back to High Sierra and have it working fine.

mojave install macbook pro slow and no internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.