Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Catalina

Experience dedicated apps for music, TV, and podcasts, plus smart new features like Sidecar. Learn how to upgrade >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: After upgrade to MacOS Mojave, I cannot login or connect to App Store.

I am using the latest MacBook Pro 2018 version. After upgrade to MacOS Mojave, I cannot sign out, login App Store or View my account. It always show "Cannot Connect to App Store". I also upgrade my iMac to MacOS Mojave, my iMac does not have this issue.

How can I fix this issue on my 2018 MacBook Pro?

Thank you

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 12

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 11, 2018 12:52 AM in response to brianyen0 In response to brianyen0

I had same issue of not being able to sign in to app store. After trying everything that was written in previous posts, this worked for me:

a) Open KeyChain Access

b) Click on System Roots

c) Double click on "DigiCert High Assurance EV root CA"

d) Expand "Trust"

e) Change "When using this certificate" from Use System Defaults to "Never Trust"

f) Restart the computer

g) Do steps a to e again but change "Never Trust" to Use System Defaults

After this, I was able to login to App Store and download apps etc.

Feb 12, 2019 7:38 PM in response to brianyen0 In response to brianyen0

So, in my situation, I have a brand new MacBook Air Retina Display. It came brand new with Mojave 10.14.2 and at first boot up, I had the issue of not being able to Sign In to the Apple Store, but was able to sign into all other things like iCloud Drive and iTunes. So, my experience was not from an upgrade, but a brand new computer boot up; not sure if that is relevant or not.

I went thru this thread, any many others, and tried all of them to no avail. The deleting certian "com.apple.appstore", folders, messing with the Trust Settings folder, etc. All of them.

What did finally seem to work for me, which by the way is now after I have updated to Mojave 10.14.3 (I thought that might resolve the issue as many of you probably hoped too), was using AppCleaner.

I have version 3.5.

Launch App Cleaner and then drag and drop the "App Store.app" onto the window. If it gives you an error prompt, just open the App Cleaner Preferences and uncheck the box next to "Protect default OS X apps" and then try it again.

Once successful, it will show all of the components associated with the App Store.app.

Select all of them EXCEPT for the App Store.app and the folder /Library/Application Support. For me, they were the first two in the list. Do Not delete those.

After that, I restarted and actually performed an install of Mojave 10.14.3 over my existing one, but I did not erase or delete anything.

When I completed the installation and restarted, I was able to Sign in "FINALLY" to the App Store.

Someone may want to test whether a reinstall is needed after removing the files. I did not try that. I just went straight to the reinstallation. I hope this works for some of you.

Oct 2, 2018 7:31 AM in response to brianyen0 In response to brianyen0

OK, I just spoke with Apple engineering and they gave me a fix for this. It worked for me and it may work for you. You mustknow how to use Terminal and access hidden directories with Finder in the root of your drive.

First, make SURE that you've backed up the directory /Library/Security/Trust Settings. Copy it on your Desktop or Downloads directory, or wherever you'll be able to access it.

1. Again, back up the user certificate trust settings files described above. Then, remove them with the following commands, entering your administrator password when prompted:

cd "/Library/Security"

sudo ditto -ck "Trust Settings" TrustSettingsBackup.zip

cd "/Library/Security/Trust Settings"

sudo rm *.plist

2. Attempt to sign into the App Store.

This didn't work for me until I restarted at which point I was able to log in and see all of my accumulated updates. If you're not comfortable working at the system level, DON'T do this. If you are, this may fix your problem. It did for me.

Once you're sure that you've got the App Store working, you can delete the TrustSettingsBackup.zip file as well as the backup of the Trust Settings directory.

Let me know how it goes.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 25, 2018 3:29 PM in response to brianyen0 In response to brianyen0

Hi there, brianyen0!
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have an issue with connecting to the App Store on your Mac and I’m happy to assist. I recommend checking out this article with steps to follow If you can't connect to the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, or App Store. This article will give you the best troubleshooting steps to take, along with the next steps to take if the issues continue.
Have a wonderful day!

Sep 25, 2018 3:29 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 25, 2018 5:57 PM in response to chris_g1 In response to chris_g1

I have the same error and these steps don't solve the problem, even the advanced steps (those two files aren't in the /var/db/crls folder, for example). I posted another screenshot here: Mojave installation fails: duplicate App Stores, can't sign in with Apple ID (Macbook Pro, Late 2016)

The error screen looks like this:

User uploaded file

Sep 25, 2018 5:57 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 25, 2018 6:35 PM in response to testingtestingtesting In response to testingtestingtesting

I have similar issue and have tried all the normal troubleshooting actions. I can however connect to App store but can't see any tabs other than the Updates tab. Screen shot attached: Note that see all is greyed out... Ideas anyone?User uploaded file

Sep 25, 2018 6:35 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 26, 2018 6:30 AM in response to brianyen0 In response to brianyen0

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue. I am using a 2018 Macbook Pro and after I upgraded to Mojave the App Store doesn't connect. I have tried all the steps mentioned here- If you can't connect to the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, or App Store - Apple Support

Nothing helps. Still figuring out the solution.

Thanks

Sep 26, 2018 6:30 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Sep 26, 2018 6:49 AM in response to brianyen0 In response to brianyen0

I am also having the same issue after upgrading to Mojave yesterday. App store does not allow my account to be accessed. I'm not able to sign out. iTunes account access is working fine and so are other internet account set ups like iCloud and gmail.

Other unrelated issues with the Mojave upgrade:

1) System fan randomly gets loud

2) System sometimes will not wake out of sleep mode so I have to do a hard shutdown and power up using the power button.

Sep 26, 2018 6:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 26, 2018 9:25 AM in response to brianyen0 In response to brianyen0

I was experiencing this issue until this morning and now it seems to have been resolved. I'm not sure if it was fixed by something I did or if it got fixed on Apple's end, but here are the steps I followed just in case:

• Open Keychain Access app
  • Select "System Roots" keychain and "Certificates" category
  • Find the "Apple Root CA" entry
  • Open the certificate, expand "Trust", switch to "Never Trust", close the certificate
  • Re-open the certificate, expand "Trust", switch to "Use System Defaults", close the certificate
  • Do the above two steps for every "Apple Root CA" entry, "Apple Root Certificate Authority", and "Developer ID Certification Authority" certificate

Essentially, this is resetting the Trust settings for any Apple-related certificates. After I did this, I was able to view my account in the App Store app instead of seeing the "Cannot Connect to App Store" message. I was also able to add my Apple Pay card to the system again (this was not working before).

I'm still not able to install apps from the App Store, but that may be a separate issue.

Sep 26, 2018 9:25 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Sep 26, 2018 10:58 AM in response to jgoz85 In response to jgoz85

Hmm... I've tried all of the above suggestions, can connect and download from App store but still only able to see Updates tab in the side bar, the See All option is still greyed out. Maybe Apple will see this thread and have a solution.

Sep 26, 2018 10:58 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 26, 2018 12:24 PM in response to testingtestingtesting In response to testingtestingtesting

I have same problem of app store not being able to open. Oddly, today I noticed there was a note attached to the App store icon and it let me update an app it referred to . I hoped now I could enter the app store, but no. I still cant open App store.

Sep 26, 2018 12:24 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: brianyen0

Question: After upgrade to MacOS Mojave, I cannot login or connect to App Store.