Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24bit/192kHz Support

It's nice that, with recent iOS updates, recent iPhones (including the 6S) can now play 24bit / 96 kHz music. I was able to verify this with my Chord Hugo 2 - which bypasses the internal DAC and amp and also provides a visual indicator of the sampling rate (red = 44 kHz; green = 96 kHz, etc.).

Sadly, my true-audiophile 24-bit/192 kHz recordings are still not supported. When attempting to sync my Mac iTunes recordings I get error messages that the sampling rate isn't supported (this was also the case on my new iPhone XS).

Given that it is possible to bypass the internal DAC, I would assume that playback limitations must be software-, and not hardware related. Since many of us do now use external DACs, it would be really great if Apple could support higher-resolution recordings.

(The sample rate does make a big difference. This is because the human ear is very sensitive to transients down to about 8 µs - whereas CD-quality sound only resolves down to 23 µs - transients let one define the start and end of notes, as well as spacial information: the phase difference between Left and Right channels for example; better sampling opens up a wider soundstage with more detailed presentations and one can really hear the string tone in orchestral recordings.)

iPhone Xs, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 2:48 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

24bit/192kHz Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.