Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Analog audio output from Ipad Air 4th gen via USB-C adapter

NOTE: before posting this, I was asked "which device is this about?", and the iPad Air 4th generation was NOT in the pick list, so I picked the same model's 3rd generation.

Anyway, I produce a podcast, and while we're recording, I use my iPad to add real-time music and sfx into the mix. Up until now, it's been easy. I had a 5th generation Ipad (~ 5 yrs old) with an analog 3.5mm headphone jack. Using adaptor cables I could connect this to a line-level input in my mixer. Solid connection; easy to manage.

Poor me, I upgraded to an iPad Air 4th generation about a month ago. In anticipation, after reading the specs and seeing that there's no headphone or lightning connectors, I ordered a USB-C to 3.5 mm audio adapter, directly from Apple. It fits into the iPad Air's only port - a USB-C port.

This iPad sounds great through its speakers or via Bluetooth to AirPods. But whenever I'm using the adaptor and going into my mixer, I'm getting fairly regular audio pops, about one every 3-4 seconds. I've swapped cables, tried other gear, tried everything I can think of (except a different adapter), and the issue hasn't gone away. In other respects the sound quality is fine, but the pops are a deal-breaker.

Has anyone else had an issue with using the analog audio output from this model of iPad? I know enough to know there's a DAC converter inside the iPad doing the work, but I'm wondering if there's a bug in the chip or software, and it's not been noticed because so many people don't use an iPad this way any more. Or that my adapter is bad?

My workaround for now: Use my wife's old iPad (same as my old one) and its 3.5 mm audio output. And maybe buy another USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, this time maybe not directly from Apple.

After just shelling out $800+, I didn't think THIS would be an issue.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 11:19 AM

First, understand that for your iPad the DAC (supporting 24-bit audio) is not an element of the iPad - but is instead within the USB-C to 3.5mm Adapter.

Whilst not dismissing the possibility that you have a faulty adapter, ensure that you have updated to the current version of iPadOS; at time of writing, this is iPadOS 15.3.1

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2022 11:19 AM in response to tomguild

First, understand that for your iPad the DAC (supporting 24-bit audio) is not an element of the iPad - but is instead within the USB-C to 3.5mm Adapter.

Whilst not dismissing the possibility that you have a faulty adapter, ensure that you have updated to the current version of iPadOS; at time of writing, this is iPadOS 15.3.1

Feb 16, 2022 11:47 AM in response to tomguild

I did not realize that there was a DAC chip in that little adapter. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still baffled, since I DON'T hear the clicks when I listen with headphones; only when I'm using a patch cable to connect to an audio interface. I've tried a few different cables, and have experimented with connecting an older iPod and my wife's iPad using those same cables. The result: everything works fine except for the new iPad and the adapter. Even connecting into the interface using the Bluetooth connection on the iPad produces a few clicks, especially when starting a track on playback. Something about the USB-C interface connecting using a standard 3.5 mm stereo audio cable is introducing interference.

I'm wondering if some of this is related to the many functions bundled into an Apple 3.5 mm jack - input, output, start/stop/skip, etc. More than the usual amount of electrical activity is tied into that connection. But I'm not enough of an audio engineer to "reverse-engineer" a cause, much less a solution.

Analog audio output from Ipad Air 4th gen via USB-C adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.