Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Mojave Scanner Not Working

Hi,

Installed Mac OS Mojave yesterday, my printer (Samsung M2070) cannot scan any kind of document. The problem is that it returns an error when I try to scan with JPEG, TIFF etc.

Anyone find a workaround? All functions of the printer work great in High Sierra.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 8:43 AM

Hi guys,

Same here: I have a Samsung C460W (basically the same as Stargoose above) and it's not scanning as it should. It does all the preview steps, scan and fails when trying to save as image (PNG, JPEG, etc.) with an error message.

If I choose PDF, it succeeds in saving a file, which is corrupted and can't be opened by any app (Preview, Acrobat or any other). It's connected via WiFi to my LAN. Prior to Mojave, it was working fine.

I've tried removing all the printers and adding again: useless.

On the other hand, using the provided software (Samsung Easy Printer Manager, v1.02.07 (2015-07-06)) the scanner works perfectly.

When will Apple release a statement/solution for this matter?

180 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 8:43 AM in response to Roromush

Hi guys,

Same here: I have a Samsung C460W (basically the same as Stargoose above) and it's not scanning as it should. It does all the preview steps, scan and fails when trying to save as image (PNG, JPEG, etc.) with an error message.

If I choose PDF, it succeeds in saving a file, which is corrupted and can't be opened by any app (Preview, Acrobat or any other). It's connected via WiFi to my LAN. Prior to Mojave, it was working fine.

I've tried removing all the printers and adding again: useless.

On the other hand, using the provided software (Samsung Easy Printer Manager, v1.02.07 (2015-07-06)) the scanner works perfectly.

When will Apple release a statement/solution for this matter?

Oct 9, 2018 12:59 PM in response to RobinBlood

You need to be asking your printer manufacturer for updated drivers for Mojave. I have an Epson all-in-one printer-scanner-fax WF2860 and it scans perfectly with Mojave. By the way, there is no such thing as “Apple drivers”. The drivers supplied by Mojave are from the manufacturers, not Apple.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned in this thread but have you tried resetting the print system in Mojave? This forces a complete reset of the printing system and reloading of drivers. You then have to re-install each printer as if it’s the first time you used it. Open System Preferences->Printer&Scanners. In the window that shows your printers control-click (right click) in a blank area and you will see the option to reset the printing system. Follow the instructions.

If you have tried this already I apologize and your best bet then is to contact your printer manufacturer’s support group and see if updated drivers are coming.

Oct 26, 2018 3:56 AM in response to Roromush

Hi,

have the same problem with my samsung C480FW. Like MikeFromReadingUK I assumed it is a permission issue. I Got a scanner error. So I shut down the fire wall. The scanner error did not appear again. Still after scanning befor opening the scanned document the scanner (or preview window, if I am using preview) closed without any comment or message.

Semms to be more than one probelm here.

No solution is in sight the propagated here If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device - Apple Support does not work ether.

Hope for some Apple solution before it gets pricy

Dec 25, 2018 9:55 AM in response to Roromush

Same here. I have Samsung SCX-3200 and MacBook with macOS Mojave 10.14.2 on it. I can save scanned images, if they're created in black and white or using text mode. But scanning in color returns error. Previously on High Sierra everything was fine.

I've installed Samsung Easy Document Creator as AndrzejKopyto Mac OS Mojave Scanner Not Working - Apple Community suggested. It helped, but I'd like Apple fixing this bug.

Oct 4, 2018 6:37 AM in response to Roromush

I have the same problem and I would like to add some more information so Apple can investigate the problem. The issue is the same using Preview or Image capture. I am testing this on a Samsung Xpress C480W (connected via wireless network). Communication with the printer/scanner is ok, Overview scan works correctly, actual scan also works fine but it fails at the end - only if Kind: Color is selected (Black & White and Text work fine). The type of error depends on the file format selected. For image formats such as JPEG, PNG the error is a generic "Scanner reported an error - An error occurred during scanning.". In the case of PDF, the file can not be opened by Preview. More precisely:

• if using Preview to scan the error message says: "The file Unsaved Preview Document.pdf could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't recognize."
  • if using Image Capture, the file is saved but then it can not be opened by Preview (or QuickLook), resulting in the same error

I opened the file to inspect its contents and the file starts with "p l l D Kscanner.reflective.RGB.positive" which is not a valid PDF file header.

My guess would be that there is a missing conversion from the native scanner format to PDF or to the selected image format, such as JPEG, PNG or TIFF.

Apple are you listening? Please fix this!

Giulio

Jan 6, 2019 9:45 AM in response to Roromush

I recently installed Mojave and had related problems trying to scan with a Canon MX920 over Airprint (no problems printing, however). But it seems to be fixed. Here’s what I did:

1. got the latest driver from Canon (c. 9/4/2018)
  2. reset the printing system in System Preferences (control click or right click)
  3. direct connected the printer to Macbook via USB cable

==> that opened up a system level dialog box asking if I wanted to update the printer driver; I clicked “yes

I did some scans with the printer still hardwired, then disconnected the cable and tried to scan more.

It worked.

Dec 18, 2018 1:17 AM in response to Roromush

Dear all,

here is the same samsung SCX3400 and M407 printer/scanner multifunction and upgraded to OSX 10.14 Mojave.

I was desperate to fix this problem, but solution was on my computer already. (and maybe on yours too)

1) Search your computer for Scan Assistant.app (it comes with printers software package)

on mine computer it is located here: /Applications/Samsung/Scan Assistant.app

2) Wait for a moment and it will find your printer/scanner.

3) Scan with this utility, and all goes fine.

There is also additional software from samsung: Samsung Easy Printer Manager

It is also has scanning ability and works fine, but need to be installed from samsung site.

Search is not working anymore on that site, here is direct link for latest OSX version I have found: DOWNLOAD

Please respond here if this helps, i want to know.

Sep 29, 2018 11:06 AM in response to Roromush

Since installing Mojave, my Samsung SCX-4600 won't scan in "Color" mode. I'm getting "Scanner reported an error. An error occurred during scanning". Scanning in "Text" and "Black & White" modes are working normally. Scanning in color mode will produce a PDF when "Format" is set to "PDF" but the PDF file thus produced is unreadable by Preview or Adobe Acrobat.

Sep 30, 2018 1:49 AM in response to MikeFromReadingUK

While I have not yet managed to solve the underlying problem I came across this link which provides an alternative way of scanning, but at a price. You get a one month free trial and so far it seems to be working for me on my SCX4500. Personally I'd prefer not to have to spend the money but its cheaper than replacing my printer/scanner. See VueScan at

https://www.hamrick.com/

Oct 1, 2018 4:28 AM in response to MikeFromReadingUK

Hi.

I have an issue that has started since I moved to Mojave.

I am trying to scan a document using my Samsung SCX 4500 printer/scanner which is connected via my network (wired ethernet not wireless).

I invoke the Samsung scanning software via System Preferences > Printer & Scanners > Scan > Open Scanner

This allows me to see the normal dialogue. and then as normal it automatically performs an overview scan.

I then proceed with a proper scan. After the scan has been done and the software is presumably about to save the scanned image, it dies. If I have chosen to save as a JPEG file I get a dialogue box with “scanner reported an error' and 'an error occurred during scanning’. If I have selected to save a PDF file the app dies with no dialogue.

It feels like it might be a permissions issue but that’s a guess.

The About dialogue for the scanning app says it is running PrinterProxy version 14.0 (555.5).

The scanner error log is empty.

Any suggestions of how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mac OS Mojave Scanner Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.