Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the login screen in macOS 10.14?

Hello,

on my Macbook Pro (2017) I upgraded now to macOS 10.14 and what bothers me is that the behaviour of the login screen seems to have changed.

Before when turning on my Macbook I always got a nice blurry version of my own background image which changed to the clear version after entering my password. A very nice and stylish way I always kinda enjoyed when turning on my Macbook. I am sure everyone knows what I am am talking about, but it looked like this:

User uploaded file

Know when turning on my Macbook I just see some boring image of a pile of sand that I don't feel has anything to do with me and I can't find a way to change it. Is there a way to get the old behavior back without going back to macOS 10.13 (what I am seriously considering if it should be only way to get rid of that sand image)?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 9:41 AM

4 replies

Sep 25, 2018 10:48 AM in response to leroydouglas

Yes, I did change it a couple of times under System Preferences or I did change it via right-click on an image and choosing the option there to set it as the desktop wallpaper, still the login screen when turning on my computer shows this pile of sand (no issue when I for example lock the screen but I normally turn it completely off when not using it for a while).

Sep 30, 2018 10:47 AM in response to Schorle

Well, I contacted the Apple phone support today and unfortunately got confirmation that the image of the login screen after turning on the Macbook can't be changed. The person I talked to at least was also surprised and did doublecheck it with some colleagues and agreed that this is something that should be changeable.

After being greeted by my own image when turning on the computer for years I just couldn't accept being forced to look at an boring image of some desert sand I backuped my files and downgraded to macOS 10.13 today again via a USB install media. Hope this gets fixed in later updates, before that there is now way I install 10.14 ever again and that could even be a reason for me to change to another plattform, I did check and indeed, Windows 10 allows you to change the login screens background...

How can I change the login screen in macOS 10.14?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.