Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID iPhone Xs unlock issue

Hi,

I got my new iPhone Xs on Friday and ever since then I’ve had a few issues when trying to unlock the phone where it would pop up saying Face ID has unlocked the phone, but when I go to slide up to get into the phone it only goes up a few centimetres then just bounces back down and doesn’t actually unlock. I can bypass this if I have a notification by sliding on the notification, but I was just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this issue and found a fix? I’ve tried resetting Face ID but it didn’t help.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 12:54 PM

I think I may have figured out what was causing the issue...

When I was on an app that uses Face ID to log in (for example a betting app), then lock the phone whilst on the app and go to unlock the phone (so it loads directly onto the app), it looks like it gets stuck and won’t unlock the phone. I think it has issues unlocking with Face ID if the app you’re on also needs Face ID authentication to get into it.

I’ve turned off Face ID login on the app in question and it hasn’t happened since (touch wood). Hopefully this helps someone else having a similar issue.

I’ll reply again if the issue does return.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2018 12:54 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I think I may have figured out what was causing the issue...

When I was on an app that uses Face ID to log in (for example a betting app), then lock the phone whilst on the app and go to unlock the phone (so it loads directly onto the app), it looks like it gets stuck and won’t unlock the phone. I think it has issues unlocking with Face ID if the app you’re on also needs Face ID authentication to get into it.

I’ve turned off Face ID login on the app in question and it hasn’t happened since (touch wood). Hopefully this helps someone else having a similar issue.

I’ll reply again if the issue does return.

Sep 25, 2018 2:42 PM in response to jchap95

I got to see both videos. Reboot your phone as a first step.

• Press and quickly release the volume up button
  • Press and quickly release the volume down button
  • Press and keep holding the power button (keep holding past the swipe to unlock) until the Apple Logo appears, then let go and your phone will restart.

You'll have to use your numeric passcode to get in the first time after a reboot.

Then see if you can operate normally after that. If you can't, since this is a new phone, I'd schedule an appointment at the Apple Store Genius Bar and show it to them. If they determine there is an issue with the phone, they'll replace it.

Face ID iPhone Xs unlock issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.