Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Integrity Protection changes in Mojave

Hi

for as long as I can remember I've used a separate mount point for my /Users directory... I've always just been able to add the UUID to the fstab file using vifs. After upgrading to Mojave I tried the same thing, but the mount point can't be mounted at the /Users directory, I tried a number of things but nothing worked...Until I disabled the System Integrity Protection. Once I did that everything went back to normal. The thing is I don't really like the idea of living SIP disabled. Also I'm not sure why it needs to be done. if I do an "ls -lO" it doesn't show any flags associated to the /Users directory. literally the only change I have to do to make this work is disable SIP. Here are a few other things I've tried

Created a /Users2 directory to try mounting the partition - Works fine

Checked permissions - Both the mount point and the the mounted directory are 755 owned by root:wheel

did chflags norestricted /Users, even though It didn't show the restricted flag - Didn't help

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 7:10 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 1, 2018 8:08 PM in response to Dan Eldridge

Hi,

I confirm this problem. Most likely it is no more possible to move /Users directory to a separate partition using fstab entry. I'm afraid the one and only "solution" is to permanently disable SIP. It is an ugly method, but it seems there is no other way to keep existing system intact. It is however possible to define a mount point for the particular user from the /Users directory. Nevertheless, it is only a forced, temporary runaround... I hope that Apple is already aware of this unexpected "feature" and they will fix it as soon as possible.

System Integrity Protection changes in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.