Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to edit contacts in groups on my iPad 9.7.

Trying to delete a contact from a group on iPad 9.7, v. 12.0: I found how to add a contact to a group, but can not delete a contact from a group.

Do I have to sign in to my iCloud account and edit contacts that way?

If so, in Safari, iCloud.com, i get the image of the iPad "settings" app:

"set up iCloud on this device". However the settings on my iPad already show apps that are synced to iCloud and how iCloud memory is allocated.

On my iMac I can easily sign in to iCloud, this has me stumped.

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 11:00 PM

Hello I D Claire,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that you need assistance deleting a contact from a group. You've come to the right place! To delete a contact from a group on the iPad, tap Contacts > Groups > tap the contact > scroll down to Delete. Take a look at the following link for more information:
Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

The steps below can also help with removing a contact from a group using iCloud.

You can delete a group or remove a contact from a group at any time using Contacts on iCloud.com. You can’t delete the All Contacts group.

Delete a group

Select the group you want to delete, then press the Delete key.

When you delete a group, the contacts it contains remain in the All Contacts group.

Delete a contact from a group

Select the group that contains the contact you want to delete, select the contact, then press the Delete or Backspace key.

Deleting a contact from a group removes it from the group only. It remains in the All Contacts group.

If you accidentally delete any groups or contacts from groups, you can use iCloud.com to restore them. For instructions, see Restore your contacts, calendars and reminders, or bookmarks.

iCloud: Delete a group, or a contact from a group, in iCloud

Have a wonderful day.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2018 11:00 PM in response to I D Claire

Hello I D Claire,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that you need assistance deleting a contact from a group. You've come to the right place! To delete a contact from a group on the iPad, tap Contacts > Groups > tap the contact > scroll down to Delete. Take a look at the following link for more information:
Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

The steps below can also help with removing a contact from a group using iCloud.

You can delete a group or remove a contact from a group at any time using Contacts on iCloud.com. You can’t delete the All Contacts group.

Delete a group

Select the group you want to delete, then press the Delete key.

When you delete a group, the contacts it contains remain in the All Contacts group.

Delete a contact from a group

Select the group that contains the contact you want to delete, select the contact, then press the Delete or Backspace key.

Deleting a contact from a group removes it from the group only. It remains in the All Contacts group.

If you accidentally delete any groups or contacts from groups, you can use iCloud.com to restore them. For instructions, see Restore your contacts, calendars and reminders, or bookmarks.

iCloud: Delete a group, or a contact from a group, in iCloud

Have a wonderful day.

I am trying to edit contacts in groups on my iPad 9.7.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.