Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro keeps rebooting after Mojave install

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded my MacBook Pro mid 2012 from High Sierra to Mojave. The installation took quite a while but went fine. After the install my macbook restarted. It went straight to my desktop and opened the new App Store and an introduction window. After a few seconds my screen turns white and mouse is in top left corner. Then desktop restarts -> App Store -> introduction window -> white screen. This cycle repeats and doesn't stop. I tried booting in safe mode but it still happens. Also I tried reinstalling the OS but that didn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 2:28 AM

43 replies

Oct 2, 2018 12:01 AM in response to Tpeets95

My BookPro is experiencing the same issue.

First time was yesterday, after returning home from work, and tapping the mouse to start using it. Nothing happened and then I heard the "chime".

This morning happened twice:

(1) After switching fro another user to my user, it rebooted

(2) After the reboot, at the user list screen, after clicking on my user, it rebooted again

Mine si a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

User uploaded file

Nov 25, 2018 8:54 PM in response to Tpeets95

I had a similar problem, Macbook 15" mid 2014 with a Mojave upgrade, computer started, worked fine for 5 minutes, started heating up, mouse frozen, 20 seconds after shutdown, searched logs without luck, forums, google, man, RTFM.. and after trying many things without success went for the windows karma method (format and reinstall)... thank you for that apple.. But even with a fresh install the problem continued... but noticed something additional... the problem only happened disconnected from power... while connected on my desk and using a thunderbolt network adapter It didn't freeze (searched logs for errors related to the wifi network drivers, didn't find anything relevant there) .... so I went for the next obvious solution in this case, ENERGY SAVING SETTINGS... it worked like a charm, no more freeze and reboots for me. My OS is in Spanish but here you can find the settings that worked for me, they might be useful to you as well.

System Prefs > Energy Saving

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Hope it works...

Rod.-

Oct 2, 2018 11:56 PM in response to Tpeets95

Hi,

So I don't exactly know what fixed it but I think it is fixed now. I kept rebooting and trying different things but nothing worked. Then suddenly I got some more time before the white screen and I installed CleanMyMac. Removed the free amount of 500 MB and after a reboot it hasn't happened yet. I hope you guys find a solution for your problem.

Oct 3, 2018 4:10 PM in response to kubowler99

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a heat/cpu issue caused by the upgrade. After trying to fix it for about 20-30 minutes, I noticed the MAC was getting fairly hot along the bottom and the fans were going crazy. I shut it down and set the Mac on top of a floor vent while the AC was on. Cooled it off fairly quick and I was then able to start it up and work for about 15 minutes before it started crashing again. I’m hoping I can boot to recovery mode and reinstall later today.

Oct 6, 2018 12:50 AM in response to kubowler99

Reinstallation of macOS doesn’t help.

Overheating may seem a cause but I’m not sure if it is. To me it seems that’s not.

I experienced crashes one after another while charging and with all 3rd party background apps/services started. MacBook was quite hot but not to extremity as ventilators didn’t run on max.

Then I disconnected the powerplug and quit all background apps (Spectacle, Mega, NTFS for Mac and XFENCE). And the magic happened, no more unstable behaviour! I’ll try to figure it out which app alone it causes or perhaps if the charging does.

I’ve observed that MS Office becomes almost unresponsive prior to crashes, cursor blinks with period of about 2s or so.

Later I’ve run an old boat driving simulation app with pretty old but exhaustive graphics to make it really hot (much hotter than at the time of restarting) with loud fan noise. Doing so I was unable to crash it again! I se no GPU problems in logs. So the new GUI and the GPU drivers and/or heating of the GPU are clearly not causing it.

I send logs to Apple everytime it restarts.

Oct 6, 2018 4:59 AM in response to Tpeets95

Hello Tpeets95

To install CCM,are not the solution?

Keep away from all Cleaning Apps,they did not any good for your mac?

If you have at Time Machine copy,on a extern Harddrive,so reinstall your operations System?

I have doing this myself,sometimes,when i have some problems with my Macs?

You have any idea,what CCM,have removed from your mac 500mb.of what?

I have Purchase,a "cleaning program" in App Store,som times,and it "Clean",so much,

that my Macbook Pro not vill start up the next day?

Regards Claus

Oct 7, 2018 4:09 AM in response to claus237

Hi claus237,

It removed some system junk.

I agree that you should not use such programs but was willing to try anything.

It think it might be an overheating problem or for me maybe a ram problem.

After a night of not touching the macbook I got way more time before the white screen.

Anyway my problem is fixed.

Regards Tpeets95

Oct 7, 2018 11:32 PM in response to kubowler99

Guys, did you check your logs for kernel panics and the reason for them? Or perhaps for other abnormalities?

Look for files named kernel... and containing kernel panic words inside.

You’re wellcome to post crash reports appearing just after reboot here as well.

Here is explained how to access your computer’s logs:

https://support.omnigroup.com/console-osx/

Oct 9, 2018 12:56 PM in response to Tpeets95

I'm having a similar issue but slightly different maybe. I updated to Mojave soon after it released and I've noticed that several times since then, after putting it to sleep by closing the lid, the next time I come to it, it has rebooted. I get a message saying that I have to enter my password because it's rebooted. And all my apps have to be relaunched, etc. It's not a huge inconvenience...I just don't like the idea of my MacBook Pro (2017 Touch Bar) rebooting that often, and without me telling it to.

Oct 14, 2018 3:18 PM in response to Tpeets95

I am having the same issue. I have macbook late 2013. When I had the same issue before on high sierra upgrade I took it to the apple store and they charged me over $400 to change the board. Now I am having exactly the same thing on Mojave update! I think they don’t really give a **** about old model issues. They expect you to get a new one. I will try to downgrade to Sierra and see if the problem continues

Oct 16, 2018 2:12 AM in response to ahmettok

I have the same model. It keeps on restarting randomly. Thought it might of been an app I have so I shut down everything. Was only using chrome and my max keeps restarting randomly still. Trying to go back to Sierra using time machine.

I may try the route you've mentioned with disabling spotlight index if I'm going to upgrade again. I do like the dark mode feature.

MacBook Pro keeps rebooting after Mojave install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.