Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Colors wash-off on iPhone X in iOS 12

I have been the proud owner of an iPhone X for a year now, and I can say that I have never heard of or seen a better screen for a smartphone in the market. The colors were just amazing, the brightness, the contrast, even using it in Night Shift mode and with True Tone was a perfect delight!

As soon as I have checked my screen after the iOS 12 update, I realized the appalling transformation of the colors on the screen! The sharpness, contrast and crisp of the colors just disappeared totally! The red is NOT sharp at all, and all the colors are warmer and sort of hazy. I can simply say that I feel that screen colors got washed off!!

Is there anyone else experiencing this on the iPhone X?? I really truly hope that Apple would fix this in the next iOS update... the screen was just so perfect, why try and fix a perfect thing? 😟

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 10:59 AM

Good morning maurusty!

Thanks for reaching out about the trouble your iPhone X is having after updating to iOS 12. I see that you've noticed a difference in the colors on the display. I'd like to help out.

I recommend reinstalling the iOS on your iPhone X. This won't erase any personal data, but it does install a new version of the iOS on the device. Before you proceed, please back up your data using the steps below. Reinstalling the iOS only overwrites the iOS on the device, but it’s always recommended to have a backup first: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once you've verified that your backup is current, follow the steps below to reinstall iOS on your iPhone. Keep in mind that this article was written for a different issue, but these steps will still be helpful. Also be aware, you'll want click the "Update" button and not the "Restore" button when prompted as the "Restore" button will restore the device to factory settings: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

I've highlighted the steps from that article for easier reading:

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart.
    • On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  3. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Let us know if that did the trick for you. Take care.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2018 10:59 AM in response to maurusty

Good morning maurusty!

Thanks for reaching out about the trouble your iPhone X is having after updating to iOS 12. I see that you've noticed a difference in the colors on the display. I'd like to help out.

I recommend reinstalling the iOS on your iPhone X. This won't erase any personal data, but it does install a new version of the iOS on the device. Before you proceed, please back up your data using the steps below. Reinstalling the iOS only overwrites the iOS on the device, but it’s always recommended to have a backup first: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once you've verified that your backup is current, follow the steps below to reinstall iOS on your iPhone. Keep in mind that this article was written for a different issue, but these steps will still be helpful. Also be aware, you'll want click the "Update" button and not the "Restore" button when prompted as the "Restore" button will restore the device to factory settings: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

I've highlighted the steps from that article for easier reading:

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart.
    • On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  3. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Let us know if that did the trick for you. Take care.

Colors wash-off on iPhone X in iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.