Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 WiFi Hotspot

I have an iBook G4 and I’d like to turn it into a WiFi hotspot, I know you can do this with macs, but is it possible with an iBook G4? I also have an AirPort Extreme, but the WiFi requires software to work. Is it possible to connect the AirPort to the iBook so the WiFi goes through the iBook first and then in the AirPort?

thanks for your answers,

Jonas

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 10:38 AM

4 replies

Sep 27, 2018 2:42 AM in response to jomy10

You could try to use Ethernet to iBook, and then use wi-fi as secondary to

any nearby products that may use it. ~ Then iBook could administer wi-fi.

Same as any other Mac. I'd used an older G3 PowerMac B&W tower w/

AirPort Extreme via Ethernet (it had no wi-fi card) & that allowed my yard

of several acres to have wi-fi from the AirPort base. And network it.

{IF there are distances, you may need to see if that can use wi-fi antenna.}

The configuration should be readily available in network settings.

The settings may differ between Leopard 10.5.8 and Tiger 10.4.11.

User uploaded file

Sep 27, 2018 3:17 AM in response to jomy10

PS: There are articles online or in archive that offer suggestions still current

with vintage hardware; depending on the version AirPort Extreme and other

connectons (and browser, such as TenFourFox) it shouldn't be difficult.

Most Macs use similar configuration settings from 10.6.8 and before. Just

that some names have been changed, though actual items may not have.

• Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting - Apple Support

• Mac OS X 10.6: Setting up an Apple wireless device - Apple Support

• Creating a small Ethernet network - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Oct 5, 2018 5:25 PM in response to a brody

Perhaps because Snow Leopard 10.6.8 has an ability to use older applications based on pre 10.6

technologies, the information can apply across the fuzzy boundary involved in this instance. Often

older articles reference things of similar nature ~ by a different name.

The processes to use them are essentially unchanged from late PPC Mac OS X within the GUI;

and Rosetta utility in Snow Leopard can allow the flexibility where that later OS is concerned.

{An the ability to use Ethernet + AirPort express/extreme base stations, as wi-fi jumpers, allow

options not usually seen. ~ I've several older AirPort extreme and express models, still, and

had used them outdoors and across distances. Some with powered antenna. A few great

older articles with ideas may still be hosted online; while other vintage have ceased to exist.}

My original white iBook G3 (first model) dual-USB from May 2001 had some great features; while

the Mid-2005 iBook G4 12-inch 1.33GHz model -- I still have, looks new, is able to run vintage

software and go online. ~ Helps if you happen to have older AirPort base stations still. As I do.

One of daily user Mac is Late 2005 PPC G4 with Leopard 10.5.8. And reverted iBook G4 to Tiger

10.4(11) as-shipped; due to slow response with Leopard, max RAM, & stock low-RPM hard drive.

Still have the 'patch workaround' on-hand I was going to try with my iMacG4 17-in 800MHz dual-

boot (OS9.2.2 + Mac OS X 10.4.11) so it would allow installation of Leopard. ~ Didn't use it though

and gave away a great dual-boot 800MHz 17-inch iMac G4 with a lot of older as-new accessories.

Some mac users haven't the depth of user experience, or dozens/hundreds of Macs-in-ownership

(fixed to donate) -- or hands-on repair experience w/prior models that allowed one access to do so.

Or have had to upgrade fully - into newer hardware/software era of product - for sake of integration.

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2018 1:56 PM in response to K Shaffer

10.6 won't run on any PowerPC Mac. So in the article may refer to how to setup the WiFi, but it would be on 10.5 or 10.4.

Note the iBook G4 800 Mhz will only be able to run 10.4 without the LeopardAssist App and iBook 900 Mhz G3 and older with Firewire same situation. The original Clamshell iBook only supports 10.3.9. WPA2 encryption only came in later 10.4 releases. 802.11g was the standard in all later iBook G4 models. The G3 only supports WEP on 802.11b, which is as good as no encryption, and only a third the speed. 802.11n only became available on Core2Duo and higher MacBook models running 10.6 or later. As a result, depending on the age of your Mac, an 802.11n ethernet bridge may be a better option for WiFi over using the airport card on the Mac.

iBook G4 WiFi Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.