Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 12 voice memo problems

First, this is an absolutely terrible "update" to the voice memo app. Any help would be appreciated, but here's what I've experienced with it. I use it everyday for business, or at least I used to.

1. When you start a voice memo, there doesn't seem to be a way to stop and save. And when you do manage to get it to quit, it always leaves one of the memos "open" There is no "stop" or "save". And heaven help you if you hit the wrong button as I did last week and you start erasing and recording over what you've previously recorded.

2. My iPhone 6s is connected by Bluetooth to my car. When I get in after using this wonderful app, some kind of "autoplay" takes over and the voice memo starts playing in the car. On some kind of demented loop. The only way to stop this from happening is to either completely shut off the phone and restart, or quickly find a playlist or song to take over. When the voice memo is in control not even Siri dares interrupt and won't respond.

I hope there are some bug fixes coming soon because what ever team developed this update should be getting their resumes updated. In my opinion.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 10:59 PM

Was using the voice memos iOS 12 app tonight. I recorded a 12 minute recording. After awhile, I came back, tried to listen to the recording but it wouldn’t play. I then tried to add on additional audio at the end of the recording by pushing “resume.” It jumped and started recording at 2 minutes, 25 seconds in the recording, and completely erased everything that came after. This app is so frustrating, buggy, unreliable, non-intuitive, and many steps backward in comparison to the previous version. Can anybody provide a reason why it’s so bad on my brand new iPhone XS, or a way to re-install or replace it?

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2018 10:59 PM in response to JamesD1957

Was using the voice memos iOS 12 app tonight. I recorded a 12 minute recording. After awhile, I came back, tried to listen to the recording but it wouldn’t play. I then tried to add on additional audio at the end of the recording by pushing “resume.” It jumped and started recording at 2 minutes, 25 seconds in the recording, and completely erased everything that came after. This app is so frustrating, buggy, unreliable, non-intuitive, and many steps backward in comparison to the previous version. Can anybody provide a reason why it’s so bad on my brand new iPhone XS, or a way to re-install or replace it?

Nov 29, 2018 3:06 AM in response to JamesD1957

Good morning.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT APPLE DOESN’T GIVE A **** ABOUT THIS!!!!

I HAVE HARD REBOOTED MY VEHICLE.

I HAVE WIPED AND RESET MY IPHONE (TWICE).

I HAVE REMOVED AND REBOOTED THE APP (THREE TIMES)

I HAVE NOW BEEN FORCED TO REMOVE YOUR VOICE APP SO THAT I CAN USE THE PHONE

AND . .AS I NOTED BEFORE . .

I DO NOT WANT TO GET ON THE PHONE FOR HOURS AND HOURS. I JUST WANT IT FIXED.

I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8555384

Feb 3, 2019 6:32 PM in response to brettfromminneapolis

It just gets worse and worse.

As I discovered recently, I am no longer able to copy my Voice Memo files to my (Mac) computer via iTunes, as I had been routinely and easily doing for many years.

After spending hours over several days on the phone with an AppleCare senior advisor -— who, in turn, consulted with his Apple advisors and resources— he determined that it is no longer possible to use iTunes to transfer any of my recent months of important Voice Memos to my Mac computer. Instead I now need to either:

1. Pay to automatically transfer to and store my vast quantity of Voice Memos in iCloud, which I refuse to do. I want to transfer them to and store them for free, as I had been doing, on my Mac and it's connected external hard drives, or:

2. Use "Share" on my iPhone to send them to my computer, so that I can then, as my long-established workflow requires, have file access to them there.

For the past several years, Apple seems to be making pointless or, more likely, profit motivated changes — perhaps to keep their legions of programmers busy and employed, writing new, unnecessary, disruptive to their customers and insufficiently tested code, instead of keeping their existing software robust and properly functioning.

in another, unrelated, serious problem, recently the editor at a newspaper that I contribute my syndicated columns to every week was unable to open the column files (Word documents and JPEGs) that I have been sending to him every week via Apple Mail. My Internet connection had gone down so I got in my car and drove 3/4 of an hour to hand-deliver them to him — duplicated on two differently formatted flash drives. At least one of those two ways should have worked, but neither did. Luckily I had also brought along a printout of that Word document from my office. In order to meet their imminent publication deadline, I had to completely re-type into his (Windows) computer my 750-word Word for Mac document.

With tens of thousands of files and emails stored in Apple-friendly formats on my computer system, I am committed to and stuck in the expensive and increasingly unreliable Apple universe, but I am most definitely unhappy with that situation.

Unfortunately, as I found out recently when I unsuccessfully tried to get technical support from Microsoft about Word for Mac, technical support from Microsoft appears to be far worse than that provided by AppleCare. There are, as far as I can see, no good alternatives...

Oct 19, 2018 5:49 AM in response to alimatic1

Yeah, I've gotten to the point that after I've stopped a voice memo (what a mess that is to do by the way) that I'll quietly start a song from a playlist for a few seconds. It seems if you do that it'll pick up with that song in the car. When I've forgotten to do that, it starts that annoying all controlling loop and all I can do then is fumble with the phone until I can completely shut it off.

Apple really needs to address this app. It's not an update. It seems more like a first attempt "beta" than a polished product.

Dec 3, 2018 1:22 PM in response to JamesD1957

I did this & I have some other problems with this version.

Typical past behavior with Apple suggests to me that once the app is trashed, that's a feature, and it never gets better, just weirder (viz the podcast app). With that in mind, has anyone looked at any 3rd party voice memo apps and any recommendations?

Incidentally, the forum "reply" function doesn't work on chrome on Windows right at the moment. Winning all around!

ios 12 voice memo problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.