Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max poor signal

Getting really bad signal or no signal at all in places where my iPhone X had no problems before, anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix?

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 1:51 AM

Hey Alexwho,

If I understand correctly, your signal strength could be better.

There are a few things you can do.

1. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Check you iPhone Update latest version of iOS
  3. check for Update your carrier settings on your iPhone
  4. Finally reset your Network setting
    1. tap Setting
    2. General
    3. Reset
    4. Reset Network Setting

BE careful This resets Wi fi networks and passwords of wifi, cellular settings, APN Setting, and VPN connection

Best Regards

MAbdElaty

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 1:51 AM in response to Alexwho

Hey Alexwho,

If I understand correctly, your signal strength could be better.

There are a few things you can do.

1. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Check you iPhone Update latest version of iOS
  3. check for Update your carrier settings on your iPhone
  4. Finally reset your Network setting
    1. tap Setting
    2. General
    3. Reset
    4. Reset Network Setting

BE careful This resets Wi fi networks and passwords of wifi, cellular settings, APN Setting, and VPN connection

Best Regards

MAbdElaty

Sep 27, 2018 1:49 AM in response to Alexwho

Not a carrier problem

Multiple people are having the same issue on all carriers.

Apple is aware of this problem this is my 3rd Xs MAx and I’m getting poor reception as well after swapping it out 3 times. My data speeds are fast but reception Is just terrible getting 1 or 2 bars of service. If I’m lucky it will stay at 2.

If you can do something leave your iPhone alone don’t touch it for a bit then tap the screen and check the signal.

With me every iPhone X’s Max I’ve had has this isssue where I leave it alone and it goes up to full signal but once I pick it up and use it. It drops down to 1 or 2 bars of signal.

Sep 29, 2018 1:34 AM in response to Marimarg

Some people are reporting issues, yet others (I am one of them) find their XS Max can keep calls going in areas that always dropped calls before.

Many who have reported this issue have also had them largely ameliorated by a carrier settings update.

Then there are a few who still see the issue regardless of the carrier settings update, and those people are best off notifying Apple Support directly of their problems.

Sep 29, 2018 1:40 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Thank you William.

There is no carrier update available at this stage William, that's all been checked. But have been on the phone for 58 minutes and 6 seconds while they did their thing.....so tired and too old for this.😁 . But it is what it is. They were very nice and I guess it's just one of those things. Luck of the draw. I'm glad yours works well. Hoping that mine will be sorted out soon. Love the phone though. Thank you for your response.

Sep 29, 2018 8:47 PM in response to Alexwho

I still have the same issue. Been working with Apple support/ engineering. I agree that the issue is the phone and not the carrier. The signals on wireless/cellular are unstable at best. Have tried lots of troubleshooting steps with no resolution. I am returning this next week if it is not resolved as I did not have these issues with my iphone x.

Sep 30, 2018 5:46 AM in response to albertofromnewhall

Wow. That’s insanely identical to what I’ve been having. I’m on my 2nd Xs and speeds are awesome just never know when or what signal I’ll have every time Iook at it. From 1-full every time. I keep switching back to my x because of the worldwide issue everyone seems to be having but I really like the xs. I also hear about others having wifi issues. I noticed that too. 2-3 bars, videos buffer. Hopefully they have a fix

Sep 30, 2018 8:01 AM in response to Alexwho

I'm having the exact same problem on my iPhone XS. Had 3-4 bars on my old iPhone 6 at home and now am barely getting 1 bar. Spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple support and they collected all kinds of logs from my phone. The rep said there certainly seems to be a problem and will forward the logs to the engineering dept. Hoping to hear back by next week. I have gone through all the trouble shooting steps like resetting the network, toggling airplane mode, removing and re-inserting the SIM and even a factory reset but the issue still remains. In spite of numerous customer complaints on various sites, seems like Apple is still not accepting the fact that that there is something wrong with their new phones. I have yet to read Apple's response with regards to these issues. I am with TMobile.

Oct 3, 2018 2:21 PM in response to Alexwho

I have the same problem. I have a iPhone SX Max and the signal is horrible. I used to have a Pixel 2 xl before it and Used to have a great connection every place I used to go all the time. This is very annoying. This is a very expensive phone to having this issues. Also Siri works whenever she wants. I talk to Siri close to phone and doesn’t work. I have practically scream in front of everybody to wake her up. I upgraded to iPhone because all my friends said was great, but the signal and processing speed is not as good as Apple claimed. The Pixel 2 xl I had before, it had much better signal and speed. Even I love the iPhone new design.

Oct 3, 2018 4:40 PM in response to Marimarg

When I said it depends upon the environment, I meant in my case my XS Max does not drop calls in areas that my 8 Plus and X could be counted to, and so for me performs better as a phone than any iPhone I've previously owned.

However, depending upon your carrier and proximity to your towers, it could conceivably not be the case for you, so it will literally be somewhat different for each person.

iPhone XS Max poor signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.