Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icon replacement resulting in very blurry icons

Since upgrading to mojave, whenever i replace icons of folders, the image is extremely blurry. This worked fine in previous macOS versions.

User uploaded file

Any ideas what this is about?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 3:05 PM

Similar questions

17 replies

Sep 26, 2018 9:11 PM in response to sduck409

sduck409 wrote:

Well that's odd, as it worked fine. Perhaps it's the size that's an issue. I generally shrink my cover files to about 300x300, maybe it needs to stretch them or something. Or maybe it's the .png format. Worth experimenting...

Well I hope the exercise was at least helpful.

Maybe you can do a bit of experimenting and report back your findings, when you get to the bottom of it.

Sep 27, 2018 9:02 AM in response to sduck409

sduck409 wrote:

Aha, another clue. Yes, 1024x1024 also works. I also tried a bunch of sizes between 450x450 and 1024x1024, and they all worked, as long as it an exact square.

I don't know if it is so much a clue, as that is the way it has always been.

The glitch with High Sierra was it was taking the square and stretching it in the landscape direction—which upset a lot of user.

Mojave has seemed to corrected the glitch.

Sep 27, 2018 2:31 PM in response to leroydouglas

No, it isn't the way it's always been. Perhaps I haven't explained my usage well, or you didn't see my first post.

I tend to do a LOT of music digitizing, and organizing. One practice I developed a long time ago (during Lion or so) was replacing the folder icons of my music folders with the album art - sort of making them little albums so to speak. In the past, you could take just about any image file, no matter what size it was, or the image proportions, and copy and paste it into the folder icon place, as I showed above. And the system would resize it, and maintain the proportions, no matter how non-square it was, and it worked really well - the results were non-blurry, and you could make out what the image was, to some extent at least.

In mojave, that seems to be broken - it has to be a minimum size, and perfectly square, or the image gets blurred. This method worked fine in high sierra by the way.

Oct 5, 2018 1:11 PM in response to sduck409

The solution escaped me too for a very long time. I tried all the various 'solutions' out there to no avail. And then, while reading and trying the leroydouglas suggestion and finding it also didn't work for me, a bolt of lightning struck me and voilá! the problem was solved. I highlighted the shortcut's icon, pressed ⌘I, selected the unsatisfactory (blurred), icon in the top let corner of the info box, pressed delete, and then pasted in the desired image. Geronimo! I had the result I wanted, exactly how it worked under High Sierra. Hope this works for you too!

Oct 18, 2018 1:45 PM in response to sduck409

Thank you for articulating the recurring problem, which seems to escape Apple Tech Support Customer Service reps (mind boggling) and forum members. This problem has been around since High Sierra. I've tried to find a solution myself only to come up short and empty handed. Additionally, the removal of Cover Flow has only added salt to this wound. I'm highly considering downgrading to High Sierra because of this.

Nov 6, 2018 11:51 AM in response to leroydouglas

i discovered this problem last night, and my first attempt to make an icon of my own worked fine, then the 2nd and all attempts since then have failed !!! It's a weird bug ? i've tried a few different sizes and replicated the procedure exactly to the one that worked, and it failed ! ( ??? )

i've found that if i go about this in a very convoluted manner, opening an icon from a generic folder, and filling in the images with preview, it will work, but only when i replace all 8 of them !!!

Apple: Please bring back the easy, no fuss method !

Icon replacement resulting in very blurry icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.