Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X very slow sync + image/video transfer since upgrade to iOS 12

I used to have fast sync (iTunes) and photo/video transfer to my Macbook Pro via the Image Capture app, but since upgrading to iOS 12 the process has become impossible.

Backing up to iTunes is taking hours (I'm still waiting), and transferring photos/video is an extremely slow process. Last night I was only able to transfer 20gb of photos and video off my phone in over 12 hours...

I've tried resetting my phone, computer, and using different USB ports to no avail.

Any suggestions? I want to be able to get my photos and videos off my phone!

iPhone X, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 9:34 AM

I was able to solve my own problem while on hold with apple support, and figured I'd share it here for anyone else that may have the same issue.

When on MacOS El Capitan, image capture would try and convert the files somehow, but with the new file types created on the iPhone X, it was failing miserably.

I upgraded to Mojave, and ran image capture again, this time seeing it say "converting" as it tried to import. While faster, it didn't work with the same video files so I was basically in the same situation...

While waiting on the phone for support to dig around a bit, I started clicking around and see in the bottom left corner there was a tiny arrow. Clicked it, and was presented with the option to "Keep originals". Ran the import again on the files that failed and IT WORKED! Now it didn't convert anything, and brought everything in at it's original form and file size.

User uploaded file

I hope this saves someone else some time and frustration!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2018 9:34 AM in response to scandyscandy

I was able to solve my own problem while on hold with apple support, and figured I'd share it here for anyone else that may have the same issue.

When on MacOS El Capitan, image capture would try and convert the files somehow, but with the new file types created on the iPhone X, it was failing miserably.

I upgraded to Mojave, and ran image capture again, this time seeing it say "converting" as it tried to import. While faster, it didn't work with the same video files so I was basically in the same situation...

While waiting on the phone for support to dig around a bit, I started clicking around and see in the bottom left corner there was a tiny arrow. Clicked it, and was presented with the option to "Keep originals". Ran the import again on the files that failed and IT WORKED! Now it didn't convert anything, and brought everything in at it's original form and file size.

User uploaded file

I hope this saves someone else some time and frustration!

iPhone X very slow sync + image/video transfer since upgrade to iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.