Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling El Capitan

I am selling an old iMac that is running El Capitan.

I erased the Hard Drive using disk utility.

I am now trying to install a clean copy of the OS (El Capitan). When I click install it asks me to enter my Apple ID and Password. Since I am selling this iMac I don't want my Apple ID and Password associated with that machine. What should I do?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 2.8 GHz, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR2, 2TB

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 10:41 AM

IT's OK to enter your Apple ID and password for that operation, it won't be passed on to the new owner. If you erased the hard drive it should reinstall the original operating system it shipped with and that is the way Apple suggests leaving for the new owner. After that should boot up to Setup Assistant for the new owner, so they can enter their own information and create their admin account.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2018 10:41 AM in response to Zachary Mitchell

IT's OK to enter your Apple ID and password for that operation, it won't be passed on to the new owner. If you erased the hard drive it should reinstall the original operating system it shipped with and that is the way Apple suggests leaving for the new owner. After that should boot up to Setup Assistant for the new owner, so they can enter their own information and create their admin account.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Reinstalling El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.