Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme- Changing to link-local only IPv6- internet works, but Apple TV 4K doesn't

Had to switch my AirPort Extreme base station to IPv6 to link local only due to major cable modem issues with Spectrum like everyone else recently. All devices work except Apple TV 4K. It will recognize the wifi and connect but none of the apps say the network is working. When moved to another area away from the 4K TV, the device does work when connected up to the ethernet cable. Did the usual disconnect, reconnect, reboot, etc. Seems to be a wifi issue- anyone have any ideas? I sure do miss those firmware updates 😟

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 6:52 PM

Just a suggestion if you still run into issues..

Try setting the DNS in the Apple TV manually.

It is passing you the IPv4 dns servers from the ISP.. but strange things can happen.

First DNS should be the router.

And use Google public DNS for second.

I think this will fix the problem.

12 replies

Sep 29, 2018 7:04 AM in response to Fleckdog

Had to switch my AirPort Extreme base station to IPv6 to link local only due to major cable modem issues with Spectrum like everyone else recently.

Not sure what you are referring to here. IPv6 on an AirPort Extreme has worked reliably for years under Time Warner, which has morphed into Spectrum over the last few years.

If you want to try the IPv6 settings that I recommend though, you will need to make sure that you are using a simple modem......not a modem/router or gateway device. A simple modem provides no WiFi at all, and has only one Ethernet port.

On the other hand, if the device that you call your "modem" is really a modem/router or gateway, then the Link Local setting would be the correct choice to use with the AirPort Extreme.

So, let's start by having you clarify what type of modem that you have. If you are not sure, post back with the make and model number of the modem. We do not need a serial number......just the manufacturer name and model number of the modem.

Sep 29, 2018 7:15 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry, yes, I have an N600..so it is a modem/router combo. We were having major internet outages in the house over the past several days with the cable modem/router. I got the Extreme to boost the coverage in the house. it had been working for a couple years now. At first, we thought it was because Spectrum (formerly TWC) was adjusting some lines down the street. They came and said its your Apple (when I wasn't in the house) and disconnected it. Knowing this not to be true- I did some digging- found your prior posts (thank you) and changed that setting (in addition to Bridge Mode).

I have the N600 connected to the AirPort Extreme via ethernet. I also have 2 other airport express extending that signal.

They have all been reset and connected by the protocol you had on here in prior posts. So really everything from the computers to the phones, printers, other wifi in the house is working..except the Apple TV.

I direct ethernet connected to the AirPort Extreme...it worked fine. Wifi it will show on the apple TV and say it is connected, but when I launch any of the apps, it says it is not connected.

Sep 29, 2018 7:22 AM in response to Fleckdog

Wifi it will show on the apple TV and say it is connected, but when I launch any of the apps, it says it is not connected.

Since the AirPort Extreme is in Bridge Mode, it is up to the N600 to provide a valid IP address to the Apple TV. Have you powered off and restarted the N600 as part of your troubleshooting process?

Are you able to connect to "see" the Settings for the Apple TV on your monitor.....even though the other Apps might not be working at the present time?

AirPort Extreme- Changing to link-local only IPv6- internet works, but Apple TV 4K doesn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.