Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gesture zoom problem macbook pro

Hello everyone

A few months ago, I bought the new macbook pro (15inch) w/ touchbar.
I noticed some problems with the trackpad (gesture control issues).

-2 finger swipe to go back to the previous webpage
-Pinch to zoom won't work in apple maps, photoshop,...

-3 fingers to drag items

All these gesture controls stop working suddenly.

When i go to 'trackpad settings', i unchecked and checked the boxes again. After I did that, the problem was gone, and i could use the gesture controls like normal. So, I tought it was just an issue in os High Sierra.
But recently i updated to os Mojave and the problem is still here.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
It drives me crazy, because i never use a mouse and i never experienced these gesture control problems with my previous old macbook pro 13inch 2014. Like i said, i can 'solve' this by checking all the boxes in the trackpad settings, but that takes me out of my workflow... so annoying.

I have a 2017 macbook pro 15inch w/ touchbar
I use the latest os Mojave
// Parallels desktop is installed on this macbook for school, but the problem was already there before i installed it. //

Thanks for helping me
Grts
Emile VD
Belgium

iTunes-OTHER, Windows Vista, Back up / iTunes / files / vista

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 8:01 AM

Hi Phonetix_DJ,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. From your message, I see you're encountering an issue with gestures on your MacBook trackpad.

To clarify, it sounds like you're able to temporarily resolve the issue by going into System Preferences > Trackpad, and then unchecking and re-checking the gestures, correct?

How frequently does this occur? Does it seem to correspond to any actions or particular apps being in use?

When the issue happens, does restarting the Mac help, or is unchecking and re-checking the only step that seems to resolve it?

To help narrow things down and determine what's causing this, you might try testing in safe mode and a new user account. These processes will rule out a number of causes and help to determine if this is a system-wide issue or if it may be related to something within the user account.

First, here's how to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac :

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Once in safe mode, you'd want to use your Mac as normal, keeping in mind some things may look/function a little different. Keep an eye on your trackpad behavior while in safe mode.

After you've tested safe mode, you can use this to learn How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac :

Use another account for testing

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

If you plan to test with any of the documents in your own account, make those documents available to the new account. Drag them to the Shared folder of the Users folder on your hard drive (~/Users/Shared). You can then move them to other folders after you log in as the new user.

Then log out of your account and log in with the new account:

1. Choose Apple menu > Log out.
  2. At the login window, log in with the name and password of the new account. If you're also asked to sign in with an iCloud account or Apple ID, skip that step.

Now try to reproduce the issue in the new account. If you need to set up an email account or other account in order to test, you can do so.

I hope the information I've provided helps narrow things down.

Warm regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2018 8:01 AM in response to DOORN_media

Hi Phonetix_DJ,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. From your message, I see you're encountering an issue with gestures on your MacBook trackpad.

To clarify, it sounds like you're able to temporarily resolve the issue by going into System Preferences > Trackpad, and then unchecking and re-checking the gestures, correct?

How frequently does this occur? Does it seem to correspond to any actions or particular apps being in use?

When the issue happens, does restarting the Mac help, or is unchecking and re-checking the only step that seems to resolve it?

To help narrow things down and determine what's causing this, you might try testing in safe mode and a new user account. These processes will rule out a number of causes and help to determine if this is a system-wide issue or if it may be related to something within the user account.

First, here's how to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac :

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Once in safe mode, you'd want to use your Mac as normal, keeping in mind some things may look/function a little different. Keep an eye on your trackpad behavior while in safe mode.

After you've tested safe mode, you can use this to learn How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac :

Use another account for testing

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

If you plan to test with any of the documents in your own account, make those documents available to the new account. Drag them to the Shared folder of the Users folder on your hard drive (~/Users/Shared). You can then move them to other folders after you log in as the new user.

Then log out of your account and log in with the new account:

1. Choose Apple menu > Log out.
  2. At the login window, log in with the name and password of the new account. If you're also asked to sign in with an iCloud account or Apple ID, skip that step.

Now try to reproduce the issue in the new account. If you need to set up an email account or other account in order to test, you can do so.

I hope the information I've provided helps narrow things down.

Warm regards.

Oct 1, 2018 11:02 AM in response to i_rina

Dear i_rina

It's hard to say exactly when.
The problem occurs when i use the zoom function. (pinch to zoom)
This is mostly in programs like: apple maps, photoshop, indesign, illustrator, archicad,... When i use the zoom function. (pinch to zoom)
It also occurs in calendar and safari. Normally you can use '2finger swipe' to go to the next/previous week/month, or going to the previous web page.

The only way to solve this problem (temporarily), is by unchecking and re-checking the boxes in the settings. (a little reset for the trackpad...) I haven't tested the safe mode methode yet. And also the restarting/other user methode is something that i need to do.

But is seems to be a software issue. Because i can use the trackpad like normal again (after checking the boxes)...
So there must be a 'glitch' or conflict.

Thanks for your reply.

Emile VD

Oct 1, 2018 11:58 AM in response to DOORN_media

Hi Phonetix_DJ,

Thanks for that additional information.

It sounds like using safe mode and a test user will be the next best steps. Testing in safe mode will help determine if certain extensions or third-party login items are causing the issue, and testing in a new user will tell you if it's system-wide or if it might be a user-specific issue.

When you have the time, check out those steps in the links above and see if you can replicate the behavior with the zoom functions or swiping in both safe mode and a test user. Feel free to post the results here.

Take care.

Gesture zoom problem macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.