Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garage Band inputs not working

Hello

Just want to say first that I am very new to apple computers! (This is the first I have ever bought)

I am using a 2017 iMac running MacOS Mojave 10.14 with Garage Band 10.3.1

I cannot record my Guitar in GarageBand using my Focusrite interface or the internal iMac microphone. I can test that both are working using the sound section in the system settings. If i click on both the interface and internal mic i see input level fluctuate when I play my guitar.

When I create a new track in garage band I can select both the Focusrite interface and the computers internal microphone, but when I play there is no input being detected by Garageband. The volume slider on the track header does not show any input and recording produces no input also.

Any help anyone could provide would be awesome as I am super eager to get on making music with my new toy !

Thanks

iMac, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 3:06 PM

I have tried your suggestion but did not solve the issue.

However your comment of something in my user account got me thinking, I checked out the security and privacy settings and found that the access to the microphone was disabled for garage band. After enabling, Both the internal mic and Focusrite interface work perfectly.

Solved !

Thanks for your help HangTime

User uploaded file

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 3:06 PM in response to HangTime

I have tried your suggestion but did not solve the issue.

However your comment of something in my user account got me thinking, I checked out the security and privacy settings and found that the access to the microphone was disabled for garage band. After enabling, Both the internal mic and Focusrite interface work perfectly.

Solved !

Thanks for your help HangTime

User uploaded file

Oct 2, 2018 12:00 PM in response to VincentMullholland

VincentMullholland wrote:

Interestingly I tried logging in as another user who had never used Garage band and it worked fine

that certainly complicates the issue.

your screenshots all look correct, and the fact that it works fine under a new user account points to something in your user account.

the only thought that comes to mind is resetting GB's prefs.

quit GB, and in the Library folder (how to reveal it if it's hidden) of your home directory go to ~/Library/Preferences/

and drag these files to your desktop:

com.apple.garageband.plist

com.apple.garageband10.plist

restart your computer and try GB again. if that doesn't solve it, maybe someone else will pass through with an idea

Garage Band inputs not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.