Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband won't record live instruments

I have recorded many projects on GarageBand using this same setup. I know how to set the correct input in the Preferences area. Suddenly, I can't record any live instruments. I can hear the mic in my headphones, I can record audio with this setup in QuickTime, I can record software instruments via MIDI. I've opened old projects and tried to record new audio on previously used tracks and cannot.

My Mac is recognizing this microphone (recording in QuickTime), GarageBand recognizes my interface, this leads me to believe there is an issue with GarageBand itself.

Any clue what's going on?

Posted on Dec 2, 2018 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2018 4:14 PM

CoreRelease wrote:

Suddenly, I can't record any live instruments.

you likely just upgraded your OS, correct?

there are new security settings in the latest OS to prevent apps from secretly using input devices; open the Security & Privacy settings in System Prefs and make sure that GB has permission to use your mic.

here's an example screen shot from another user showing permission being given to the mic:

User uploaded file

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2018 4:14 PM in response to CoreRelease

CoreRelease wrote:

Suddenly, I can't record any live instruments.

you likely just upgraded your OS, correct?

there are new security settings in the latest OS to prevent apps from secretly using input devices; open the Security & Privacy settings in System Prefs and make sure that GB has permission to use your mic.

here's an example screen shot from another user showing permission being given to the mic:

User uploaded file

Garageband won't record live instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.