Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless CarPlay - No Internet Connection BMW

BMW creates a network using the car's built in WiFi network to facilitate wireless CarPlay. The problem is that cuts off the LTE internet connection for the iPhone since the phone WiFi connection is used to link to CarPlay to the built in system in the car. Every CarPlay app is them forced to use cellular data which can add up very quickly when using navigations apps or streaming music. BMW's "genius'" couldn't even get that far figuring out why I had no internet when using CarPlay, but did when using the BMW iDrive system. It became obvious after some sleuthing I did. The question is does anyone know how to overcome this? Is there a way to disable the wireless CarPlay and have it only use a wired connection so my car play apps use LTE? This is a serious short coming in wireless CarPlay and enough to cause me not to use it.

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 12:22 PM

That doesn't fix the problem. Your solution does disable wireless CarPlay ... and CarPlay in its entirety. The iPhone's CarPlay software does not allow a wired connection that let's you remain connected to the hotspot in your car. I tried your suggestion of turning off bluetooth and using the USB connection freeing up the phone to connect to the hotspot. It doesn't work. It's the way Apple and/or BMW has written the code. In this case wireless CarPlay is not the innovation some would like you to think it is. I checked with people who do not have wireless CarPlay support, but do have hotspots in their car and they do not have this problem.

Maybe I was unclear. The goal is to use CarPlay and have the iPhone connected to the internet. Since the wireless CarPlay uses the phone's wifi connection to connect to the car it disables the phone's ability to connect to the hotspot and use LTE for its data needs - Nav apps, streaming, etc. - without being forced to use cellular data.

Unless there is a work around I haven't found yet, it means I will not use CarPlay except when Waze is a must. The least they could do is enable a wired connection to the built in system that allows the wifi connection to your hotspot.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2018 12:22 PM in response to Stuart423

That doesn't fix the problem. Your solution does disable wireless CarPlay ... and CarPlay in its entirety. The iPhone's CarPlay software does not allow a wired connection that let's you remain connected to the hotspot in your car. I tried your suggestion of turning off bluetooth and using the USB connection freeing up the phone to connect to the hotspot. It doesn't work. It's the way Apple and/or BMW has written the code. In this case wireless CarPlay is not the innovation some would like you to think it is. I checked with people who do not have wireless CarPlay support, but do have hotspots in their car and they do not have this problem.

Maybe I was unclear. The goal is to use CarPlay and have the iPhone connected to the internet. Since the wireless CarPlay uses the phone's wifi connection to connect to the car it disables the phone's ability to connect to the hotspot and use LTE for its data needs - Nav apps, streaming, etc. - without being forced to use cellular data.

Unless there is a work around I haven't found yet, it means I will not use CarPlay except when Waze is a must. The least they could do is enable a wired connection to the built in system that allows the wifi connection to your hotspot.

Wireless CarPlay - No Internet Connection BMW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.