Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave bluetooth connection -- audio issues

Since upgrading to Mojave I've been having problems with the bluetooth connection to my Beats Studio 3 headphones. The audio continuously cuts in and out. It's so bad that the option is to use the audio cable to connect. Has anyone else had this issue with Mojave and their bluetooth wireless headphones, and does anyone have a real solution?

macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 4:40 PM

I have been having issues with bluetooth since upgrading to macOS Mojave but not with my Beats. My MacBook Pro wasn’t unlocking using my Apple Watch a majority of the time I woke it up from sleep. I would have to enter my password instead. I have also noticed that I could not shut bluetooth off (from system preferences, the menubar, and Siri).

Resetting the SMC seemed to fix my bluetooth connectivity issues with my Watch and it is working almost 100% of the time now so I would suggest resetting the SMC:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2018 4:40 PM in response to LDMartin1959.me

I have been having issues with bluetooth since upgrading to macOS Mojave but not with my Beats. My MacBook Pro wasn’t unlocking using my Apple Watch a majority of the time I woke it up from sleep. I would have to enter my password instead. I have also noticed that I could not shut bluetooth off (from system preferences, the menubar, and Siri).

Resetting the SMC seemed to fix my bluetooth connectivity issues with my Watch and it is working almost 100% of the time now so I would suggest resetting the SMC:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 9, 2019 2:00 PM in response to LDMartin1959.me

Aiwa Arc1 headphones do not work with Apple's current Mojave Bluetooth stack. Symptoms include:

• Hear system sounds through Arc-1 after toggling input/output in sound settings. But can't listen in iTunes.
  • When selecting headphones as output device in iTunes sound plays through internal speaker only.
  • Cannot use Arc-1 to monitor any tools such as Garage Band or Audio Hijack

Tried the following with no success:

• Reset SMC.
  • Deleted Bluetooth preferences.

Fresh install of Mojave and updated to (10.14.2). Latest version of iTunes (12.9.2.5).

Headphones work great in Windows 10 and in Ubuntu Bionic 18.04

[Edited by Host]

Oct 2, 2018 4:32 AM in response to ipodusr1138

I was able to connect one time out of about 30 attempts. When it connected changing the volume on the MacBook did not change the volume on my headphones. And changing the volume via my headphones did not change the volume. The volume remained at the same level. I ended up disconnecting and now they won't reconnect again. This is really frustrating.

Oct 2, 2018 7:51 AM in response to LDMartin1959.me

I'm having problems with my Bose QC 35 headphones.

Connecting is OK and the connection remains stable - no unexpected disconnects.

However, the audio is awfully choppy. Very occasionally I also get a short burst of white noise in both channels. It's just a brief hiss during audio playback for maybe 200 ms.

Prior to Mojave the headphones were absolutely flawless with my MacBook Pro 15 (late 2016). I also regularly connect my phones to my iPhone. That was also working great prior to iOS 12 upgrade and is STILL working great.

I therefore conclude this is a Mojave issue.

I've checked the firmware in my phones and made sure they are fully up to date. Double checked again after doing this and the problem persists with Mojave. Works fine with iOS12 and I've also connected to an older laptop running the previous macOS and they work fine with that.

Pretty conclusive - Mojave seems to have problems with its audio over Bluetooth, at least for some makes of bluetooth headphones.

Oct 22, 2018 1:27 PM in response to LDMartin1959.me

I have the same issue. Macbook Air and Skullcandy Hesh 2 Wireless, Skullcandy Jib Wireless. Bluetooth on -> Connected for 5 second -> Disconnects. While connected the volume feedback sound coming from the Macbook's speakers not the Skullcandy. Really weird and frustrating. Hope Apple fix this soon 'cause I'm unable to use my headphones. 😟

Oct 29, 2018 8:53 AM in response to LDMartin1959.me

Same for me as well - after reading through this thread, it seems to me that it is definitely the bluetooth drivers for Mojave causing the issues. I have been having the audio issues with my beats studio 3 headphones, along with very spotty connections to my Logitech keyboard and mouse (either one will randomly not work after starting from sleep, but restarting the computer fixes it). Headphone connections are spotty while using them for videoconferencing as well, and I have found that the battery dies down quickly with my beats when using them with my MacBook Pro (2018 model) than with my iPhone or iPad (will drain in an hour vs. the usual multiple hours).

Hope a future update fixes this - has anyone had any success with one of the MacOS Mojave 14.1 betas?

Oct 30, 2018 4:59 PM in response to LDMartin1959.me

Just upgraded to macOS 10.14.1 and my issues have completely gone.

I'm using Bose QC35 Bluetooth headphones. Prior to Mojave no issues at all - great connection - really stable and reliable behaviour and good range. No issues connecting even in "busy" bluetooth environments.

With 10.14.0 I had very unreliable bluetooth operation, broken and lossy connection.

This latest release seems to have completely fixed it - back to how it was before Mojave. OK, so it's early days, but looking good. Well done Apple!

Nov 20, 2018 7:38 AM in response to Gerald Malis

same here, sennheiser bt headset works just fine with iphone xs max and windows laptop but with mojave on macbook pro 2017 its impossible to listen to music due to stuttering all the time. I am using the headset for skype/facetime calls and that sort of works until the headset disconnects and reconnects in the middle of convo (usually each 10 minutes or so)... no clue what to do to fix it

Mojave bluetooth connection -- audio issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.