Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why shortcut to make alias changed in Mojave?

At first I thought I was crazy, because Cmd-L seemed to be a dead key in Mojave when I selected a file in Finder and tried to make an alias.

From the File menu I discovered, to my consternation, that the shortcut to make an alias is now Cmd-Ctrl-A.

Harder to type!

Why did was this changed in Mojave?

Is there some way to restore the previous meaning for Cmd-L? (Or is that now preempted for something else?)

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), 4.0GHz Corei7, 32GB, 3Tb Fusion

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 5:38 AM

Nobody here can answer that question, nor can we speculate on why.

Is there some way to restore the previous meaning for Cmd-L?

It doesn't appear Finder is using it, so you can do this:

Keyboard System prefs > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts

Click the + button

Application: Finder

Menu Title: Make Alias

Keyboard Shortcut:< type cmd-L >

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 5:38 AM in response to murrayE

Nobody here can answer that question, nor can we speculate on why.

Is there some way to restore the previous meaning for Cmd-L?

It doesn't appear Finder is using it, so you can do this:

Keyboard System prefs > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts

Click the + button

Application: Finder

Menu Title: Make Alias

Keyboard Shortcut:< type cmd-L >

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2018 5:04 AM in response to murrayE

I just [sadly] discovered this as well. Thank you for the new shortcut. This is what I think is going on. Because you can edit stuff when you are in preview mode (the spacebar) --- that it holds the same functions as if you had opened the document, thusly Command+L rotates it left (without even looking at it), and all other commands in preview also have same properties. Which I guess is good?

Nov 19, 2018 2:07 PM in response to murrayE

Barne-15E is correct that no one here can definitively say why, but unlike him,I will cheerfully speculate. Because I am Always Right, Even When I am Wrong. I'm right this time, you'll see. I supported Macs and other IT for 30 years, and I grew to agree sometimes with Dr. McCoy "I know engineers, they love to change things" (Star Trek The Motion Picture) but there's almost always a better answer. The word Alias begins with A, not L, but long ago when the alias was introduced to the Mac, (I lived then😮, 30 years remember), Cmd-A was already taken (for Select All). L seemed the next best thing. But now somebody decided it really made more sense to have a shortcut that used A even though it's 3 keys. (I imagine the shortcut-wars that have been fought for years over this at Apple.) After all these years they bit the bullet and made the change. It's always a struggle. Institute the better(?) idea or stay with what the people know. New users or the old ones? "Young minds, fresh ideas, be tolerant" (Admiral Kirk Star Trek III)

Why shortcut to make alias changed in Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.