Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Read/Write to DVD

I can only burn RW discs, not write to them on Apple USB SuperDrive

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 6:20 PM

If you are trying to add more content, you cannot do that without special software unlessyou erase the disk first.

It would also help to actually post important info such as your device, OS version, and exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish and how you are trying to do it.

9 replies

Sep 30, 2018 7:05 PM in response to normanfromguerneville

The way you write to a disc is very important. You do not drag one file after another to the disc itself.

Mac OS software can do this for you, but you have to proceed just the right way. You usually accumulate the stuff you want to burn into a burn folder, then tell it to burn all that stuff to disk. This article describes the process;

Burn CDs and DVDs on Mac - Apple Support

Sep 30, 2018 7:41 PM in response to normanfromguerneville

Unfortunately, not even Mac OS can add more content to an RW disc (unless you erase the current contents first). There used to be more of a call for software that could do multi-session writing/burning, but I don't know if there is any app out there today (for a Mac). I used to use it with Toast v. 5 (if I remember correctly). It came in handy when you wanted to add more files to a backup CD RW (before the age of external drives, USB, FW, etc). I still have a box full of (empty) CD and DVD RW discs.

Can't Read/Write to DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.