Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave upgrade - com.apple.diskManagement errror 69854

Late 2013 iMac with 3TB fusion drive and about 1TB free.

"macos could not be installed on this computer"

Attempting to upgrade to Mojave generates the error message above with a "Restart" button. Restarting does nothing useful - just attempts to reinstall Mojave and fails again at the same point.

Recovery mode and Disk Utility shows no errors when First Aid is run.

"Reinstalling" the OS from Recovery mode gets back into the apparently endless failed upgrade cycle.

What's the best approach from this point?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 10:13 AM

Fixed.

I decided that since there were not millions of complaints that the upgrade was not working, it was likely that I had encountered some kind of transient error rather than a major bug in Mojave.

So, after restoring from Time Machine (thanks, Apple), then making another backup, I created a bootable Mojave installer on a USB key using the instructions here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I then rebooted from the USB key (reboot while holding the option key down, then select the USB key.

All worked fine and I'm typing this from Mojave on the previously sulky iMac.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 10:13 AM in response to ANDRESPM

Fixed.

I decided that since there were not millions of complaints that the upgrade was not working, it was likely that I had encountered some kind of transient error rather than a major bug in Mojave.

So, after restoring from Time Machine (thanks, Apple), then making another backup, I created a bootable Mojave installer on a USB key using the instructions here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I then rebooted from the USB key (reboot while holding the option key down, then select the USB key.

All worked fine and I'm typing this from Mojave on the previously sulky iMac.

Oct 2, 2018 7:01 AM in response to AndyOrmsby

Update from me:

I managed to create a "bootable" Mojave installer on a USB key and tried booting from that but got stuck in the same cycle with the same (69854) error message.

Finally, I erased the drive and did a system recovery back to High Sierra using Time Machine.

Anyone know if there's a fix?

Is it worth trying again?

What does error 69854 actually mean?

Oct 8, 2018 7:16 AM in response to AndyOrmsby

Same exact problem here. I'm on a 2014 Mac Mini with a 1TB HDD. As near as I can figure, the error is caused by problems when the installer attempts to convert the HFS+ volume to APFS, a requirement for Mojave. Apparently the process is not very fault-tolerant. Like yourself, I had no choice but to revert to a Time Machine backup.

I'm planning on rebuilding the HDD's directly with DiskWarrior, then trying the Mojave install again once the drive has a clean bill of health.

Mojave upgrade - com.apple.diskManagement errror 69854

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.