Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting issue iOS12

When will the iOS texting issue with phones that share the same Apple ID be fixed? When I text one family member, the text goes to all of the family members. Going into "Settings" then "messages" then "send & receive" to just have my phone number checked, as well as for each respective phone, does not work.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12, Apple ID texting issue

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 5:05 AM

We tried to split one phone off to a different Apple ID, my contacts who have upgraded to iOS12 are still having the same problem.

As a result of this, I will NOT be getting a new iPhone or updating my iOS on my device.

I may have to go back to a Samsung phone if Apple doesn't fix this ASAP.

4 replies

Oct 1, 2018 4:36 PM in response to gbfromlakeville

There have been multiple posts about this. We are users like you and have no idea if or when it might be fixed.

You each need to have your own Apple ID.

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps. Also see Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion

Apple ID – Create

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Use your own Apple ID for Family Sharing

Family Sharing -What types of content can I share?

Family Sharing - If you don‘t see your family‘s shared content

Family Sharing - Ask to Buy

Family Sharing - Ask to Buy - Get Help

Family Sharing - purchases and payments

Family Sharing - Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books

Family Sharing – share iCloud Storage

Family Sharing - Share an iCloud storage plan with your family

Family Sharing and location

Oct 25, 2018 10:09 AM in response to gbfromlakeville

Please don't take this the wrong way, as it is not intended to sound as it may. But over the years, Apple has done an impeccable job of trying to make the public/users understand that they should have separate Apple ID's for each person. They even created Family Sharing, which does a great job. I have teenagers now and since they were 6, they have had their own apple id's for their ipad and now iphone's. They want an app, music or book, etc, then they request it and the request comes to mine and my husband's phones to accept or deny. We can all share apps, music, books, etc and my parental controls prevent them from accessing those shared items that I may not want them having. I can see where they are on GPS as well. It makes alot of sense why you would need separate ID's when you think about it.

So, I'm not sure why anyone shares an apple id anymore. In my honest opinion, this is not really Apple's bug to fix - it's been documented and explained what everyone should do for years now with regards to apple id's. So I would go through the process mentioned above and reset the phone with a separate apple id for each person.

Texting issue iOS12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.