Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Xs Max can't Sync iTunes while iPhone 6s works fine

Tried to restore backup from my old iPhone 6S plus to new iPhone Xs Max by sync iTunes on iMac (OS 10.13.6 iTunes 12.8.0), but somehow my iTunes can't read iPhone Xs Max but be able to read iPhone 6S fine.

I've tried to follow the link If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support, and was able to see iPhone Xs Max in USB Device Tree but don't know how to "uninstall third-party security software".

I'm wondering If my computer is able to read iPhone 6S then why couldn't it read new Xs Max? Is it really due to the security software issue? Or what should I do to fix the problem? Thx

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12, iMac OS 10.13.6 iTunes 12.8.0

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 9:48 PM

I've contact Apple support via chat and here is the solution.

Reinstall (no need to uninstall) iTunes 12.8 on Mac via iTunes - Upgrade to Get iTunes Now - Apple

Then disconnect your phone, close iTunes, then reopen and reconnect your phone.

After that I saw a software update window pop up and after install that I can sync my iPhone Xs Max to my iTunes.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 9:48 PM in response to fuyi0620

I've contact Apple support via chat and here is the solution.

Reinstall (no need to uninstall) iTunes 12.8 on Mac via iTunes - Upgrade to Get iTunes Now - Apple

Then disconnect your phone, close iTunes, then reopen and reconnect your phone.

After that I saw a software update window pop up and after install that I can sync my iPhone Xs Max to my iTunes.

Nov 3, 2018 2:11 AM in response to fuyi0620

I experienced this issue too when I was using macOS High Sierra, and updated my iPhone 7plus to iOS 12.

again I had the issue with iPhone XS max with IOS 12.1 on my Mac with macOS Mojave.

on both occasions I had to update both of my systems (iPhone and Mac) to their latest version. I came to realize that iTunes recognized my new iPhone only when both systems were updated to their latest versions. I helped me.

all the best

iPhone Xs Max can't Sync iTunes while iPhone 6s works fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.