Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guided Access disable screen sleep

We have 9 ipads that we use on our production floor, we keep them in guided access because lets face it, we don't want them messing around instead of working. Mid last week, I took them down because we were doing inventory and I updated all of them to IOS 12, and when I came in yesterday morning, I noticed that the screens were turned off. Guided Access should not put the screens to sleep, but they are. Is there a way to prevent the screens from going to sleep?

iOS 12

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 8:40 AM

That was the first thing I checked after I discovered they were doing that. They were all set to never when I set up the iPads for the production floor in February, because I did not realize at the time Guided Access disabled the screen sleep.

82 replies

Oct 3, 2018 11:24 AM in response to raina_b22

I'm having the same trouble as nrathbun. I have an app I run in Guided Access in a public space and I want to keep the screen from sleeping. I checked all the settings for Display & Brightness, adjusted settings in Screen Time, even turning it on and off with the same result. I also tested on a different model of iPad running iOS 12. After checking this forum I reinstalled the operating system as per becky_s22's suggestion and still have the same result, the screen sleeps after 10-15 minutes but does not lock the iPad as a home button press wakes the screen and I'm still in the app in guided access mode. This appears to be an issue with iOS 12 as I have other iPads running iOS 11 in guided access with no problems. Any information/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2018 8:09 AM in response to nrathbun

Greetings, nrathbun.

I see that you've set up your company's iPad devices using Guided Access. The problem is, after updating them to iOS 12, the lock screen had been engaged after you left them on overnight, and you'd like for this to stop. I'm happy to help.

Adjust the brightness on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-lock, and set that to "Never".

Take care!

Oct 3, 2018 8:54 AM in response to nrathbun

Thanks for getting back to us, nrathbun. It's appreciated. I'd like for you to select one of the iPad devices to reinstall the operating system.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- Please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Even though the title of the article isn't specific to your issue, the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. Test the issue once again.

Let me know how that goes, and cheers!

Oct 6, 2018 3:13 PM in response to nrathbun

Same boat, here too.

We got a number of Ipads as part of parking machines, to charge for cars, boats, and mobile homes.

The screens are now turning black after a little while, which makes people believe that the system is down, resulting in substantial financial losses.

We are now considering reverting to the use of small Window-based Pc's again.

PS. We have 243 parking machines in operation, and another 200+ on order, so this is not good for Apple.

I really hope a fix is in place within 1-2 weeks. Anything else would mean a final goodbye to the i-world.

TC

Norway

Oct 10, 2018 8:39 AM in response to Jsport79

Can confirm this is also the case. Display remains on (it has at least all morning with our testing) if Guided Access is turned off. Although that kind of defeats the purpose because we want to lock that app into place. Our Apple SE is also taking a look at it.

One other thing I noticed when Guided Access was on and the screen fell asleep, I woke it back up and saw the Home screen where the app that I wanted locked into place was getting Cleaned. May be related.

Oct 10, 2018 12:56 PM in response to nrathbun

Guided Access mode off all day has definitely kept our displays on, can confirm the issue is somewhere present there in iOS 12. Our SE seemed to indicate to manage around this in our MDM by removing/disabling all other apps and functions and abandoning Guided Access or Single App Mode as Apple does not love either feature. Take that for what you will, hopefully they will actually fix the problem though, so flex your muscle elsewhere if this is a problem for you and you have some pull with Apple.

Oct 18, 2018 8:23 AM in response to nrathbun

Same problem here, Since the IOS 12 update my iPads used for business purposes set in Guided Acces fall out in sleep mode after certain time. When not set in Guided Acces iPad stays on unlimited. Tested with app that I use for business, but also with Apple native app like mail. Problem seems really to be in Guided Acces in combination with IOS 12.

APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS BUG ASAP!!!

Oct 22, 2018 12:46 PM in response to nrathbun

I'm having the same issue. We have several iPads locked down with Guided Access in a museum setting so visitors don't mess around with them. They are now going dim. I've tried removing the access code, and turning off screen time. We have to have guided access to keep the display on the correct application, otherwise visitors play around and get back to the home screen.

Guided Access disable screen sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.