Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage merge issue - IOS 12

Our entire family was on one iTunes account and when I upgraded to IOS 12 all of their messages merged into one "streamlined" view. I read different suggestions on how to fix this and one option was to create a child's iTunes account for them and add then to family sharing. I did this and they are still all in one merged message.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is VERY frustrating. I can't send a message to my husband because I don't know if my kids will get it or if he will.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 8:46 AM

JMC-1019 wrote:

Our entire family was on one iTunes account and when I upgraded to IOS 12 all of their messages merged into one "streamlined" view. I read different suggestions on how to fix this and one option was to create a child's iTunes account for them and add then to family sharing. I did this and they are still all in one merged message.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is VERY frustrating. I can't send a message to my husband because I don't know if my kids will get it or if he will.

Hi there,

As far as I know once they've merged they are not going to un-merge. You have to delete all messages with the affected people from all devices and start new messages. Hopefully that will work for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 8:46 AM in response to JMC-1019

JMC-1019 wrote:

Hi there,

As far as I know once they've merged they are not going to un-merge. You have to delete all messages with the affected people from all devices and start new messages. Hopefully that will work for you.

iMessage merge issue - IOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.