Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay Disconnecting - iPhone XS Max

Dear all wise and all knowing Apple Community 🙂

I recently switched from my iPhone 7+ running iOS 12.0 to an iPhone XS Max running iOS 12.0.

I have a 2018 Audi S4 with the latest firmware from Audi.

With the switch to the XS Max, seems that my Apple CarPlay will get into a cycle of disconnecting and reconnecting

every 30 seconds or so.

I tried reverting back to my 7+ and works fine.

1. Siri is enabled.

2. The USB Lockout is turned off on the XS Max. The 7+ had the lockout turned on

but made no difference in the XS Max toggling on or off.

3. Swapped the cables to the one in the box of the iPhone XS Max and USB ports

in the car. This had no impact on the XS Max recycling the connection. The 7+ is uneffected

business as usual.

Not sure if this is tied in with the authentication issue with the charger. I go over wired carplay and the 30

second increment is suspect as that is my lockout time on the phone.

Curious if others are facing this.

Thanks!

-ravilach

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 11:50 AM

270 replies

Oct 21, 2018 9:28 AM in response to ravilach

[Reposted from the secondary thread at CarPlay Keeps Disconnecting - iPhone XS Max. No idea why this is listed as “solved.”]

I’ve been wrestling with this problem now for exactly one month. Here’s a status update and a list of all the things that have failed to solve the problem for me.

• iPhone: XS Max / 256 GB / AT&T / gold
  • iOS: 12.0 to 12.1*
  • car: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
  • CarPlay: built-in
  • connection: Apple Lightning-to-USB connector (1 m)
  • symptoms: intermittent disconnections, each lasting between eight and twenty seconds, with no discernible pattern. Usually begins after a few minutes of use. Rarely can go as long as twenty minutes without it happening. Connection returns without user action, then disconnection repeats.

Here are the remedies I’ve tried that have not succeeded:

• hard reset
  • complete wipe and reinstall from backup
  • complate wipe and reinstall as new
  • replacement unit from Apple Store
  • different versions of iOS. (*Note: Apparently, I’m not allowed to mention the use of any unreleased versions of iOS. An earlier post of mine was deleted for that reason. So I can’t tell you that I’ve tried the final, signed version of 12.0 as well as the public releases 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the — let’s use a different word — “bagel” of 12.1.)
  • deleting Google Maps from CarPlay and the iPhone
  • turning off Wi-Fi on the iPhone (from the Wi-Fi settings, as well as from the Control Center)
  • turning off Bluetooth on the iPhone
  • turning off both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the iPhone
  • turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the car
  • different cables, including the Audi OEM cable
  • cleaning the USB ports
  • reinitializing the Audi MMI system
  • avoiding the use of Waze
  • avoiding the use of the iPhone as a telephone
  • Genius Bar
  • Apple feedback site

I think that’s everything. What have I missed? Please feel free to reply with other potential remedies. Please make sure to include the car and model, the iPhone model, and the iOS version. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2018 6:02 PM in response to ravilach

Same problem. 2018 Audi A5 Sportback. Switched from an iPhone X running the iOS 12 public beta. No problems. Upgraded to an iPhone XS Max (256/AT&T/gold) running 12.0. Same problems as OP. Tried hard resets: did nothing to solve the problem. Did a full restore: nothing. Wiped the phone and started from scratch: nothing. Went to Genius Bar, reported the problem, got a replacement unit (same specs): nothing. Upgraded to 12.1 public beta 2 (the one that’s supposed to fix the charging problem, figuring it was related): nothing. Problem does not happen when plugging in my old X, my wife’s 7S Plus, or my daughter’s 8, all running 12.0.

There does seems to be some correlation between when the car’s Wi-Fi is doing something and when the CarPlay cuts out. Trying to figure out whether there’s a way to disable it (turning it off in the Audi settings doesn’t appear to be enough). Weirdly, if I put the phone into Airplane Mode, then connect it to the USB port, the problem doesn’t occur. (Of course, this is useless, since the phone is now offline.) But if I wait about five minutes and then switch it back to regular mode, the problem didn‘t return. Only tried this once, so I need more testing. Not sure what that would mean, other than to suggest a conflict betwen the iPhone’s Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth, or both) and the car’s.

Jan 11, 2019 1:36 PM in response to RickNY

Spoke to Apple support, here are all of the troubleshooting suggestions I have been provided:

(1) Forget vehicle in CarPlay and then reconnect the phone

(2) Go to Settings/Screen Time/Content & Privacy Settings:

• Enable Content and Privacy Settings if disabled
    • Go to Allowed Apps
    • Ensure that CarPlay is Enabled

(3) Renaming the phone

• Forget the Car stereo from Settings/General/CarPlay
    • Forget the iPhone from the Car Stereo
    • Rename the iPhone in phone settings
    • Reconnect the iPhone to the car stereo

(4) Test with a shorter apple lightning cable.

Results:

I tried (1) this morning and CarPlay worked for a few mins then disconencted 3 times within 20 mins while listening to music that was playing from so it made no change.

(2) Just done this and need to take a drive to test it out. Will report later on after I do so. This suggestion came from the Apple tech that called me from the scheduled call.

(3) Not tried yet. This suggestion came from the Apple online chat technician. I want to try (2) for a while to help narrow down which solution solves the issue.

(4) I already use a certified 6" lightning cable (works fine with CarPlay on my other iPhone)

My setup:

2018 Jeep grand Cherokee Summit

iPhone XS MAX IOS 12.1.2

iPhone 7 Plus IOS 12.1.2

Oct 15, 2018 8:23 AM in response to ravilach

Same exact problem. Switched from IPhone 7 Plus to IPhone XS MaX on my Audi Q7. Iphone 7 Plus running iOS 12 had no issues. IPhone XS Max keeps disconnecting exactly as others have described on this thread. I deleted my CarPlay profile on both my phone and vehicle and I tried erasing and resetting my networking settings. I had a glimmer of hope because my phone stayed connected for 20 minutes as opposed to 2-5 minutes. That was a short lived solution and now it is back to frequent disconnects especially if the Apple Maps or Google Maps navigation is engaged. Contacted Apple Support and they suggested that I do an Itunes restore to default and set my phone up as a new device (and not restore from iphone 7 backup). I have been delaying doing this because it is a pretty big hassle to rebuild the phone and I wanted to see if anyone else was having the issue. It appears some on this thread have tried resetting the phone and it did not resolve the problem. There are also quite a few Audi’s involved in this thread. Not sure how to proceed at this point, especially if resetting the phone does not correct the problem.

Oct 9, 2018 9:45 PM in response to ravilach

I have what I hope is a bit of good news. I haven’t got a disconnect since installing iOS 12.1 beta 3. I’ve tried every which way to try and break it, including most of the things mentioned here causing issue. Fortunately tomorrow’s schedule has me driving around like I’m an Uber driver, so it should be a good opportunity to find out if the stability is a fluke. Keep you posted.

Oct 10, 2018 8:30 AM in response to ravilach

Having a very similar issue. I actually was an apple senior tech support advisor until a few months ago- I now work in the automotive electronics field. Since swapping to the xs max, on ANY in dash unit, old pioneer appradios, any new CarPlay unit, etc, when plugged in, I am able to get audio, but NO video on the dash unit. No CarPlay interface, no controls, nothing. Multiple units. My iPhone X running same iOS 12 works perfectly. Makes it fairly difficult to test CarPlay for customers.

Oct 15, 2018 3:01 PM in response to ravilach

Update: Running the 12.1 public beta 3 did not solve the issue for me. (IPhone XS Max connected to USB in a 2018 Audi A5 Sportback). I did a hard reset of the phone after installing and I also re-initialized the MMI software on the Audi (hold the two side buttons forward and simultaneously press the control knob). Sometimes I can go for twenty minutes with no problem at all. More often than not, I get sporadic disconnections that last between eight and twenty seconds before returning without my doing anything. There is no clear pattern. I’ve also tried turning off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. Bottom line: CarPlay appears to be unworkable, at least with a XS Max on an Audi.

Anyone having a different experience?

Oct 15, 2018 4:20 PM in response to jayshep

Same exact experience you are describing. I’m disappointed to hear that 12.1 beta 3 dId not correct the issue. I was encouraged when QandnotU reported that he received no disconnects when moving to 12.1 beta 3. Question for you and the other posters: Did you set up your iPhone XS Max as a new phone or restore it from a backup of your previous phone? Apple Support was indicating that restoring from the backup coiuld have affected the core OS, which is why they recommended to me that I set it up as a new phone.

Oct 15, 2018 4:33 PM in response to TCPM_1

My fingers were crossed for iOS 12.1 blah! Been running Spotify (latest) with iOS 12.0.1 and not sure why it’s been pretty stable. Before I turn on my S4 I unlock the phone and then wait for the Car Play confirmation from the iPhone before putting the phone down.

Have not tried making a call of consequence.

Curious is this happening on specific apps or features?

Oct 15, 2018 6:38 PM in response to ravilach

I have had some success by deleting Google Maps from my phone. Not a fan of this solution but for now it has been the only thing that has worked...it is driving me cra cra!

Able to use Waze and listen to Apple Music and podcasts now...let me know if this works for you.

Set up another support call for tomorrow. I'll post if I learn anything new.

Oct 16, 2018 3:20 AM in response to djwslcuofu

I have a 2018 Q7 and am having the same issue with my new iPhone XS Max. I checked with Audi and they said it’s an issue with Apple’s software. Highly frustrating. Will try a few of the temporary fixes people suggested here like turning WiFi off but we shouldn’t need to do that to get a $1500 phone to work properly. 12.0.1 didn’t help the CarPlay issues one bit. Really hope they address this soon as it becomes dangerous while driving to have your phone keep cutting out on you.

CarPlay Disconnecting - iPhone XS Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.