Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mojave doesn't display .SVGs in preview

I recently updated to macOS Mojave and it seems it doesn't generate previews to any of the .SVGs I am working with. For example:

User uploaded file

All I get is this loader and nothing loads in the preview. Same for when you use "Spacebar" to preview the file nothing shows.

Is that a bug?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 1:15 AM

21 replies

Oct 3, 2018 5:47 AM in response to dialabrain

Well, that wasn't happening to me before the update. Here is a link to a folder where I have a bunch of SVGs. Before the update, the previews were generating. And now they are not:

00_Assets - Google Drive

This is what I see on any of them:

User uploaded file

The preview on the side or the preview with a SpaceBar displays just the loader and yet the small thumbnails are generated. So weird.

Oct 3, 2018 6:17 AM in response to dobsyyy

Okey, I think it now works. I think the issue was with Google File Stream, I deleted the app and all its cache along with the synced files from ~/<username>/Library/Application Support/Google/DriveFS , emptied the bin and reinstalled Google File Stream.

After it loaded my files again, the previews started showing.

Not sure why on the desktop wasn't working either but the good thing is that now it works on both the local files and file stream files.

Thanks, guys!

Oct 3, 2018 5:38 AM in response to dialabrain

My Mojave (and High Sierra) Finder and Quick Look display .svg files just fine. I do know that some applications do not generate well-formed .svg files, or create non-standard .svg format (Inkscape can generate different formats of the .svg standard), and some hand-coded .svg may be too complex for some applications like Illustrator to completely resolve.

I wonder if booting into Safe mode, and its housekeeping effects, may rebuild the launch services database, or clear out anything that may be interfering with Finder.

I would also be inclined to run the following Quick Look manager command from the Terminal that resets the Quick Look Server, and QL clients caches.

qlmanage -r

I didn't need to do any of the above for Mojave to work fine with .svg files.

Oct 3, 2018 5:23 AM in response to dobsyyy

The lack of .svg support in Preview has not changed from prior Apple operating systems, nor is it a bug. Finder will display .svg though, which is misleading to Apple's otherwise omission of support. You can right-click on a .svg and from the Open with sub-menu, choose Safari, Firefox, or Google Chrome as a view-only tool.

The Affinity products (Designer, Photo, and Publisher [beta]), GIMP, Inkscape1, and probably Pixelmator (among select others) will open .svg files. LibreOffice will open .svg in its Draw application, via the main Open menu item.

1 Inkscape requires XQuartz (X Window System) installation as it is not yet native on macOS.

Nov 12, 2018 12:11 PM in response to dialabrain

This is a weird solution, but it's worked twice. I downloaded and installed a free graphics program (first time Gapplin, second time Krita) and had a folder with svgs open after I opened the graphics program. After relaunching Finder, the svg previews started showing up. This stopped working after the first time with Gappling, so I installed Krita the second time and now they're working again. Leaving this here for anyone who really needs this fixed.

macOS Mojave doesn't display .SVGs in preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.