Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messages not showing in Messages under iOS 12 or macOS Mojave?

I have an Late 2013 27-inch iMac and an Early 2016 MacBook, both running macOS Mojave, and an iPhone Xs Max and an iPad Pro, both running iOS 12.

Prior, messaging under macOS High Sierra and iOS 11 on all my devices worked great. Everything synced through Messages in iCloud, including text messages showing up on all devices. However, I just noticed today that text messages (green bubbles) were not syncing across devices, though that was enabled on my iPhone. iMessages sync just fine across all devices. I tried quitting and opening Messages, restarting all my devices, to no avail.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? And has anyone found a solution and/or workaround? Thank you in advance!

iPhone Xs Max, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 7:08 AM

Hello, mrbofus.

It's my understanding that your messages are no longer syncing between your devices. I got some information that will help you with this. Without the feature Continuity this would be expected behavior between your devices since the green texts are SMS messages that uses your cellular phone number. I would suggest taking a look at this article and make sure that all devices are set up correctly for Continuity: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Set up SMS and MMS messaging

Use this feature with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements. Make sure that your devices are set up as follows:

• Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
  • On iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Make sure that the Apple ID at the top of the screen is the same Apple ID that you're using for iMessage on your other devices. Add a check to your phone number and email address, so that you can be reached by iMessage at both. Do the same on your iPad or iPod touch.
  • On iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, then choose which devices to allow to send and receive text messages from this iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.
  • On Mac, open Messages, then choose Messages > Preferences. Click Accounts, then select your iMessage account. Make sure that the Apple ID shown here is the same Apple ID that you're using on your other devices. Add a check to your phone number and email address.

Use SMS and MMS messaging

User uploaded file

To use this feature, just start conversations as normal in the Messages app on any of your devices. You can also start a conversation by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, Calendar, or other apps that detect phone numbers. All of your incoming and outgoing messages appear on all of your devices. Learn more about forwarding SMS/MMS messages from your iPhone to an iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 7:08 AM in response to mrbofus

Hello, mrbofus.

It's my understanding that your messages are no longer syncing between your devices. I got some information that will help you with this. Without the feature Continuity this would be expected behavior between your devices since the green texts are SMS messages that uses your cellular phone number. I would suggest taking a look at this article and make sure that all devices are set up correctly for Continuity: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Set up SMS and MMS messaging

Use this feature with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements. Make sure that your devices are set up as follows:

• Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
  • On iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Make sure that the Apple ID at the top of the screen is the same Apple ID that you're using for iMessage on your other devices. Add a check to your phone number and email address, so that you can be reached by iMessage at both. Do the same on your iPad or iPod touch.
  • On iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, then choose which devices to allow to send and receive text messages from this iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.
  • On Mac, open Messages, then choose Messages > Preferences. Click Accounts, then select your iMessage account. Make sure that the Apple ID shown here is the same Apple ID that you're using on your other devices. Add a check to your phone number and email address.

Use SMS and MMS messaging

User uploaded file

To use this feature, just start conversations as normal in the Messages app on any of your devices. You can also start a conversation by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, Calendar, or other apps that detect phone numbers. All of your incoming and outgoing messages appear on all of your devices. Learn more about forwarding SMS/MMS messages from your iPhone to an iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Oct 4, 2018 10:47 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Unfortunately, that does not help. I have already gone through those steps. Again.

As I said before, everything was working fine before macOS Mojave, and even for several days after updating to macOS Mojave.

If I click "Sync Now" in the settings for Messages on macOS, it updates. If I've signed in and out, restarted all devices, I don't know what else I can do. Especially considering everything worked before and after the macOS Mojave update.

Text messages not showing in Messages under iOS 12 or macOS Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.