Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird icon on lockscreen

Since updating to IOS12, on my iPad Air, weird icon appears on top right corner on lock screen.

https://youtu.be/28h6yU84KFg

User uploaded file

iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 11:26 PM

I've seen that oval blob on a few screen shots people have posted here. It seems to appear in place of the cellular signal strength icon on cellular-capable devices that are missing their SIM chip or otherwise have no cellular service available. No idea whether it's intentional or accidental, but it seems harmless.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 11:26 PM in response to TejmaLee

I've seen that oval blob on a few screen shots people have posted here. It seems to appear in place of the cellular signal strength icon on cellular-capable devices that are missing their SIM chip or otherwise have no cellular service available. No idea whether it's intentional or accidental, but it seems harmless.

Oct 4, 2018 1:57 AM in response to TejmaLee

You don’t have tobe a developer to report a bug. For example, you can use the Apple Support App - and work your way through the support options until you get to submitting a case. Try this:

- Open the Apple Support App

- Select Get Support

- Select the appropriate Apple Device to which the issue applies

- Choose an appropriate topic

- Find your issue from the list - if not listed, scroll to the bottom and choose Get More Help

- Describe the fault in a few words (e.g., Strange Icon) and submit

- If your issue is something unknown, or hasn’t a help topic, you’ll be offered something from a selection of options, such as a live chat, Schedule a Call or Talk To Us Now - or maybe or something else.

After your case has been created by a support agent, you can manage it directly from the App (Account, Recent History)

Dec 11, 2018 12:15 PM in response to LotusPilot

I too have the same oval icon and have searched for information about what it’s for. I am currently using an iPad mini ios12.1 and I did turn off my connection with my Verizon this past year via phone because I really don’t travel with this device anymore. I am guessing it is related to the status of the SIM card which is no longer active! Grateful for this group help! Happy Holidays

Weird icon on lockscreen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.