Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mojave unusual boot beahvior

Hi,

I noticed an unusual behavior after upgrading to macOS Mojave. When I boot from shut down after opening the lid, the Apple logo and the loading bar loads halfway through with my wallpaper in the background, then the screen goes black with a pause for a few seconds and the apple logo re-appears and finishes up the load.

Is this normal?

I never noticed that in High Sierra. Anytime I booted up from shut down state by opening the lid, it booted seamlessly with my wallpaper in the background all the time with no pauses.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 7:30 AM

Yes, this is normal. I’ve used Mojave (including betas) for quite a while. I understand this might look worrisome at first, but I haven’t noticed any problems, so it’s only a UI change—nothing is broken under the hood.

15 replies

Oct 7, 2018 10:19 AM in response to amunif

Have same issue @ cold boot on 10.14.0. Recall having similar issues in HS 10.13.0 thru to 10.13.3 Supplement and only fixed on 10.13.4. This was happening on Late 2012 21.5 inch iMac ( platter drive ) and on early Retina MacBook (512SSD).

Mojave 10.14.0 on the whole is good. Give Apple a few more point updates and hope it is fixed.

Oct 7, 2018 4:25 PM in response to amunif

Hello amunif

Not it is not normal that boot process ,loading halfway, and turning black, for a few second,and vent on again?

It began, after,MacOS Mojave came out, and I have try several things to get it right again, but now luck yet?

In High Sierra,Sierra,El Capitan,and,Yosemite,was there ,no problem with the Boot process?

I have that boot problem,with my iMac & MacBooks,in OSX Mavericks,that year?

Maybe,it will be okay, when Apple send a new update,to MacOS Mojave?

We can just hope, it will solve our problems?

Regards Claus.

Oct 7, 2018 4:46 PM in response to YakovM

Hello YakovM

No it is not a normal Boot Process?

It Began after Mojave came! you now that?

I wonder, why you are on Level 3,with that attitude?

There hat never been a boot issue,before?

Okay i have some, boot issue, on OSX Mavericks,but it was gone after the next update from Apple,that year?

Hoping that Apple can solve our problems, with boot up, in MacOS Mojave?

Regards Claus.

Oct 11, 2018 5:56 PM in response to dburnham51

It has been close to a week since Apple Support gave me a case . I've not heard from Apple as of today.

The support person I talked to, promised to send me an email once Apple has a resolution. Only thing we can do

is to hang in until most likely Apple posts a patch. The unusual booting we have now is not a problem (yet). You might have realized from others including me that this is an old bug reintroduced in Mojave.

Hope Apple posts a patch before we start experiencing black screen after booting.

Stay tuned and be patience.

Oct 28, 2018 9:12 AM in response to amunif

Sir, you just open up the issue with Apple support and complain you

don't like the boot up progress bar issue and not sure if it will eventually

lead to total blank screen not like the half-*** screen you experience now.

I called the phone support and techies made me jump through some hoops

by doing this and that and even reinstalling the full Mojave. Then the techie

issued a ticket and said it was escalated to "Engineering". When I followed up

after a couple of weeks, I was told the "Engineering" thinks it is only a cosmetic issue

there is no resolution date.

I suppose more people call and holler, or when it leads to a total blank desktop screen,

the "Engineering" may do something or you may have to take your Computer

to the Genius Bar.

Good luck.

macOS Mojave unusual boot beahvior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.