Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max video stuttering

Has anyone else noticed constant frame drops, stuttering and lagging on videos on the iPhone XS Max. Is this just me or is this a bug in iOS that will get fixed?

I’m experiencing it on things like

- Tv app (iTunes downloads) both online streamed content and downloaded offline content

- YouTube

- Safari

iPhone SE, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 8:30 AM

45 replies

Oct 30, 2018 2:39 PM in response to AIDEN199JH

Don’t worry, you are not alone. Several of us have the same issue.

iOS 12.1 didn’t fix the issue.

I agree that the performance of the phone itself (besides the video stuttering) is not what it should be. I talking about more of scrolling menus, settings, panning the camera. I don’t play graphic intense games on my phone but some have reported frame rate drops as well. Feels as if Apple didn’t optimize or pushed too much for the phone to handle.

Still no reply from Apple about this.

Nov 11, 2018 9:43 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Yeah I bought the Xs last Monday and I’ve had the same issue with the stutter and frame drops it’s really annoying. My brother and me bought the phone on the same day I asked him about it and he isn’t experiencing any lag. I hope apple realeases some update to fix this because this is really a big issue for those with the problem especially since we paid a such a big amount for this phone.

Nov 13, 2018 7:20 AM in response to AIDEN199JH

Has anyone heard of a fix for this or any word from Apple themselves if they're going to fix this? I'm really disappointed that these phones are having these issues. I never had an issue on my iPhone 7 of this kind. I'm still within my return/exchange window but would prefer to fix this issue before exchanging my phone (I have the silver XS Max 256GB).

Nov 15, 2018 12:08 PM in response to AIDEN199JH

Hey there.

Just bought xs max a few days back.

While playing videos, i watch a lot of videos on youtube, i am definitely experiencing lag and stuttering.

First I thought that may be i was over observing as the mobile is new but it was quite evident from my first look at the video.

The video is not smooth at all.

Apple please issue a fix for this problem.

Thanks

Nov 17, 2018 12:01 PM in response to AIDEN199JH

I am on my second iPhone X’s Max in two weeks from getting my first and both have stuttering issues. Apple told me they are unaware of this issue and to get a new phone. My new phone is no different than the last and still has “stuttering” issues or bad frame rate drops . 3 iphone 8 plus’ in my house and none had this issue. Internet connection is very good. Does this on apple TV app, netflix, youtube, and amazon prime video.

Nov 17, 2018 6:11 PM in response to AIDEN199JH

Two phones in two weeks and both same problem. Frame rate issues with: apple tv, netflix, amazon prime, youtube, and now notice it with some games. Never had any problems with any other apple phone I have had or my family members have. My network is running great as well. It is the phone.

Talking with Apple, the service agent said they are unaware of this issue and requested I get a new phone. Well, the day I got my new phone (old phone less than two weeks old) it was doing the same things. All old iPhones never had this issue. My wife and daughter still have the iPhone 8 plus and have never had this issue.

Nov 20, 2018 12:58 PM in response to Munim_Pakistan

Everyone experiencing this issue: CALL APPLE.

I have contacted them and, if I am not the only one to call them on this issue, I am certainly one of very few to do so. Their internal forums have no mention of this problem. I have gone through a few channels now, have done their "last resort" fix which should have fixed the problem, but it has not. It is going to their engineers now.

The Apple agents I have talked to have been amazing to work with so far, so do not be afraid.

Jan 3, 2019 8:23 AM in response to Munim_Pakistan

I should say that I have been to apple with this through their customer support. It has been over a month with zero progress although there have been things on my end not contributing in terms of help (illness, holiday, work).

I have been given a case number and assigned an individual that is one step up from their general customer care employees. My issue has also been forwarded to the software engineers as this issue has been through all other means of troubleshooting and is at its "last resort" phase of fixing. According to the apple care senior advisor I have been speaking to, this was the first time this issue has been reported. Their internal forums for known issues, this was non-existent at the time.

In troubleshooting, I have factory reset my phone and set up as new without restoring my back up. I have found that downloading an apple TV movie I have and then watching without wifi or cellular data (video plays directly from phone) that it still has framerate issues. This has also been seen in many games that are offline as well and I have even begun to notice this in some of the interface. Sometimes when swiping to different screens my phone stutters, using the internet, Facebook, and some other apps. However, this last bit of news I just reported to my apple care senior advisor via voicemail within the last few minutes.

I will update when I have more. What I would suggest is that not only is this forum forwarded, but everyone contact apple with their issues as well. Since there has been no mention of this in any of their forums (as of last month) I am under the impression that I am the only one who has reported this issue to apple since they were not aware of this at all.

Jan 3, 2019 8:30 AM in response to sergeantawesome

Apple is just bull ******** customers. I got a replacement for my iPhone XS max and even that had the same issue. I saw 2 other friends with the XS max and even they have the issue.

I had raised a bug on bug reporter a month back regarding this. They still did not do anything about it. And the so called higher executive that you're talking about, well I have spoken to them as well. They will pacify you by saying sir we will now handle your case and the typical responses but in reality they will not do jack ****.

It is just impossible that apple is not aware of this issue.

Jan 10, 2019 11:18 PM in response to arjun_a

having this same issue as well. iphone xs max. video in my camera roll seems to playback fine but anything in safari, youtube, instagram, facebook, vlc, dropbox, etc all have studdering / choppy / dropped frame issues. i don’t know how else to describe it. looks like apple needs to push out a software update for us.

iPhone XS Max video stuttering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.