Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing pictures on icloud but not iphone

I have a bunch of old family photos that I want to keep in cloud storage as opposed to on my PC or thumb drive. Can I store them in icloud by uploading them from my PC without all of them also getting posted to my iphone?

Also - I'm thinking about switching to a Mac very soon. Same question...can I have separate storage areas in icloud for things like old photos that you don't want on your iphone? I don't need 548 pictures of great grandma on my iphone!

Thanks!

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 8:16 AM

iCloud is not a storage service, it is a syncing service. If you upload photos to iCloud, they must remain on your device. If you delete them from your device, it will delete them from iCloud as well. You can put them on an external drive, or if you don't want them on the computer any longer, archive them to a CD or DVD.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 8:16 AM in response to tf210

iCloud is not a storage service, it is a syncing service. If you upload photos to iCloud, they must remain on your device. If you delete them from your device, it will delete them from iCloud as well. You can put them on an external drive, or if you don't want them on the computer any longer, archive them to a CD or DVD.

Storing pictures on icloud but not iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.