Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 12 IMessage been sent/receive to all my family

I have an AppleID which I share with my family. We upgraded to IOS12 and when we sent texts via IMessage they go to the wrong family member?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 9:18 AM

Hey Murph,

A large number of users are reporting problems of this general nature since updating to iOS 12. The common element is a shared Apple ID.

The most helpful step in resolving the issue would be to set up Family Sharing and give each family member their own Apple ID. Here is some detailed info about that: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088

Also helpful: Delete any existing Contacts for family members, and create new Contacts containing no shared information with the rest of the family. In other words, enter only data that is unique to the person in question: i.e., a personal phone number and/or email address — nothing that will also appear on someone else's contact card.

Advanced step: Comb through your Messages and delete all threads involving family members. Start new threads, being mindful of anything the system is auto-completing, as this can lead right back to where we started.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 9:18 AM in response to Murph_21

Hey Murph,

A large number of users are reporting problems of this general nature since updating to iOS 12. The common element is a shared Apple ID.

The most helpful step in resolving the issue would be to set up Family Sharing and give each family member their own Apple ID. Here is some detailed info about that: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088

Also helpful: Delete any existing Contacts for family members, and create new Contacts containing no shared information with the rest of the family. In other words, enter only data that is unique to the person in question: i.e., a personal phone number and/or email address — nothing that will also appear on someone else's contact card.

Advanced step: Comb through your Messages and delete all threads involving family members. Start new threads, being mindful of anything the system is auto-completing, as this can lead right back to where we started.

IOS 12 IMessage been sent/receive to all my family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.