Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xunlei/Thunder (file sharing): Malware on iPhone X?

Hi all,

I am using an iPhone X and am with Optus as my service provider in Australia. The Optus app gives me a breakdown of where my data is being used and recently I noticed strange data usage for Xunlei/Thunder file sharing (see attached image below). But here's the thing, I do NOT have this as an app on my phone. I ONLY download apps from the app store and my phone is NOT jailbroken. I'm also quite digital savvy so I don't download questionable files or click on any dodgy links.

Does anyone have an idea where the heck this could be coming from? I'm thinking that perhaps it's embedded into another app or something because I am 100% confident I do NOT have Xunlei on my phone. I should also note that I've had my phone for a couple months so far and, looking back, there was no Xunlei data usage before the 25th of September. This happened all of a sudden on that date and has been happening every day since. I have also NOT added any new apps since then so not sure what's going on.

I also note that some data usage went to Neulion.com which is part of an app I use to stream sporting events, but I still have no idea where the heck this Xunlei/Thunder is coming from.

Would welcome any insights or feedback. I really don't want to have to wipe my phone clean with a factory reset.

Thanks in advance

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone X, iOS 11.4.1, null

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 6:15 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 6, 2018 3:30 AM in response to mesotu

Have you tried reaching out to Optus, you are assuming it could be something on your device but might easily be a mistake in reporting at there end, also see if 25th September coincides with any changes in there system or app updates.

The only other thought is could another App you are currently using, and installed on or around the 25th be using the Xunlie/Thunder file sharing protocol (but would think that unlikely without you knowing in advance).

Appears you are not the only one, so my guess is it’s something changed at Opus.

Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ? - Yes Crowd

Oct 7, 2018 8:03 PM in response to SiHancox

Thanks @SiHancox. That was super helpful. I think it was indeed a YouTube issue. I deleted YouTube for a full day and found that there was no data transfer. It appears that maybe since Google owns a stake in Xunlei that it may be part of YouTube's infrastructure now. And when a video is played on the phone through YT, then Optus probably (erroneously) categorises the data usage as Xunlei/Thunder. It was quite worrisome since I do not have any file sharing apps on my phone. Hopefully this thread will help others too. Cheers 🙂

Xunlei/Thunder (file sharing): Malware on iPhone X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.