Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder not working

Hi,

I''m using a 2017 MacBook Pro updated to macOS Mojave. Since the OS update Finder has been acting oddly and I can't work out why.

Sometime if I save a file to a folder, then check it is there in Finder, it is not. But if I re-save it it says it is there, and asks if I want to replace it. The file will then show in the folder.

Downloads are showing in the Download folder until I do the same as above

File modified times are updated - so I work on file, save at 12:20, do some more work and resave, time modified is still 12:20, but if I open the file, it is the later version.

Any ideas how I can correct this? It's getting rather frustrating.

Cheers

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 6:49 AM

18 replies

Jan 23, 2019 10:39 AM in response to roguedad

I don't see any ofd the usual suspects in the report but notices that you haven't rebooted in 5 days. I'm of the school of rebooting frequently to clear out caches, temp and swap files.

Remove the files listed in the Clean Up section of the report.

Boot into Safe Mode, Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode, and see if the apps crash there. Reboot normally and try again.

Jan 19, 2019 2:21 PM in response to Jemski44

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply:

Also assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get more information for the report:

Oct 4, 2018 6:55 AM in response to padsmcnulty

Create a new user user account and test. If it works as expected there, then it's probably some wonky Finder preferences in your main account. If that's so, then rebuild your Finder preferences:

From your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" then copy & paste this file path:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Click Go.

Delete the plist file.

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You may have to reset some Finder preferences the way you like them)

Dec 17, 2018 2:59 PM in response to padsmcnulty

Having finder problems here as well. A few different issues :

1) right clicking the finder icon in the dock shows every tab listed, instead of the tab you are on in a particular finder window with multiple tabs.

2) on restart, the existing multitab windows somethings break apart, and can become one window with two or three of the tabs, and another window with one of the tabs that were previously together.

No luck fixing this yet. Problem is getting worse over time.

Jan 26, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Old Toad

Removed all files in the Clean up section and restarted finder. I understand your comment around booting. I use it too when nothing else helps. But saying that I should boot at least every 5 days is not a solution. Apple should be better than that.

Regardless, I haven't had the problem for 3 days, so it does seem that somehow the files which were revenants of applications I had long removed from my mac may have been the problem. I'll post again if the problem reoccurs.

Jan 30, 2019 2:14 PM in response to roguedad

You should reboot frequently to clear out old caches and temp files which will speed up the iMac. The following is from this article from the Mac Observer: The Benefits of a 32GB Mac For Average Users

If I were to reboot my Mac every morning I have no doubt I could live with 16GB or even 8GB without experiencing most of the aforementioned symptoms

Read the article and the info relating too the quote above is near the end of the article.

finder not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.