Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't access Mail

I suddenly can't access Mail. When trying to open it either from launchpad or from my dock, I get "The last time you opened Mail, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" If I click "Don't reopen" I get nothing, if I click "Reopen" I get "Mail quit unexpectedly" Have tried rebooting but no help. What to do????

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 12:51 AM

Do a backup, preferably 2 on 2 separate drives.

Quit Mail.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Go to Library/Containers/com.apple.mail. Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Restart, re-launch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

If that doesn’t solve it repeat the above using Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent.

Information learned from Linc Davis. Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mail crashing

Crashes/quits unexpectedly

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2018 12:51 AM in response to aropupu

Do a backup, preferably 2 on 2 separate drives.

Quit Mail.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Go to Library/Containers/com.apple.mail. Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Restart, re-launch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

If that doesn’t solve it repeat the above using Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent.

Information learned from Linc Davis. Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mail crashing

Crashes/quits unexpectedly

Oct 5, 2018 12:54 AM in response to aropupu

Are you checking via IMAP, POP, or Exchange? IMAP and Exchange, I would just delete the com.apple.mail.plist file.

POP, I would move the Users -> yourname -> Library -> Mail and Mail Downloads folder to your desktop in their entirety before reopening Mail. Once it loads normally, then I would use the Mail menu -> Import Mailboxes option to reimport the mailboxes.

Mind you, you will need to recall your e-mail passwords in both events.

I can't access Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.