Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot open itunes without circle of death

Recently my itunes would seem to open, but then hang with the circle of death. The mouse is unresponsive when I am provided a choice as to cancel or continue. Sometimes I get a message indicating "podcast.posttv.com" signed by an unknown certifying authority.

I have an old imac with OSX 10.6.8, but all else functions perfectly.

I have tried to install the itunes app from my backup, same (lack of) response. I have disconnected and reconnected all hardware. No help. The only clue that may help someone to help me is in the report I get when I (have to) force quit the itunes app, noted in the PID, which changes number, each time I do this.

PID: 243
Event: hang
Duration: 4.89s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
Steps: 9 (100ms sampling interval)

Any suggestions for me? I am at a loss as to how to even begin to proceed. Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 7:02 AM

Put your podcasts in the classic list view and look for any circled exclamation marks as shown here:

User uploaded file

The dialog is what I see if I click on the exclamation mark. I'm not actively subscribed but it seems iTunes is still checking the validity of the URL, which is baked into each of the two dozen episodes that are downloaded into my library. I suspect the way that you recreated your library means you have something similar that you might want to remove entirely. If you want to retain the audio files you could, for example, say they are audiobooks, which would stop iTunes looking at the URL.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 7:02 AM in response to retireD62

Put your podcasts in the classic list view and look for any circled exclamation marks as shown here:

User uploaded file

The dialog is what I see if I click on the exclamation mark. I'm not actively subscribed but it seems iTunes is still checking the validity of the URL, which is baked into each of the two dozen episodes that are downloaded into my library. I suspect the way that you recreated your library means you have something similar that you might want to remove entirely. If you want to retain the audio files you could, for example, say they are audiobooks, which would stop iTunes looking at the URL.

tt2

Oct 11, 2018 5:26 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your efforts. Unfortunately, this didn't work because I am unable to find the referred-to file anywhere in my mac. What I have done so far is to search the unwanted file, as you say, in my mac and my time machine...to no avail.

I have managed to regain access to the controls of my itunes again by creating a new library with my itunes backup files. After a short time, however, I get this message again, also with the new itunes library, although I can now resolve it with cancel or continue, which was not possible in my original itunes library. Could that be a clue?

I still would like to find this unwanted file to delete it. Any ideas for me? Grateful for your help.

Oct 13, 2018 7:40 AM in response to turingtest2

Dear turingtest2

I am delighted to tell you that your suggestions solved my problem perfectly. I did as you said, and it's perfect now. The picture was of great help as well, as I am not so knowledgeable about these things.

I am so thankful for your help. I would never have gotten to the solution on my own. Thanks so much for the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

best to you

cannot open itunes without circle of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.